Monday 23 March 2020

Sunday 22nd March - Port Talbot Dock Open / Knock Up

Prior to this match I fished the Tuesday Open at Acorn Fisheries and had 10lb odd of silvers and 19lb of carp. Didn't do any good as I was again down the wrong end of the lake but more importantly I began to question myself as to why I was there in the first place. The draw was done under strict conditions but not everyone was keeping what I think is a safe distance.

Steve O'Mara who runs the Port Talbot Dock matches posted that he was ''self isolating'' due to feeling under the weather and would not be running a match this weekend but invited someone else to come forward and run in.
I wasn't planning on going over so told Steve I was not available.

Team mate Chris Hook phoned me around Wednesday and asked if there was anything on this weekend and I told him about the situation over Port Talbot and said I was just thinking of trying the Bristol Feeder Canal pleasure fishing.

On the Port Talbot Dock facebook page there were quite a few guys interested in fishing the dock so I let Steve know that I would run it. After a number of texts and messages between us I was all set up to run it.

12 eventually booked in and the draw was done in the car park area aside peg 8.

On the drive over I began to question myself again as to why I was travelling .... was it necessary?
Speaking to a couple of others they had the same thoughts.

I collected all the entry fee from everyone via a pole cup on the end of a long bank stick in order to keep a safe distance and had latex gloves on.

I briefed everyone at the start concerning some basic health and safety rules to reduce risk and also performed the draw for all, I would also do the weigh in plus record the weights.

I have to say everyone co-operated 100%.

I was last but one to draw and blow me I ended on peg 6 for the 3rd time over my 8 attendances at the dock.

Two feeder rods set up as per previous visits and the same approach which has seen me frame 3 times now.

At the start small roach (I say small but they would be more than welcome anywhere else) were hitting the bait just after the feeder hit the bottom and on the way down. You need the skimmers and bream to win at the moment so instead of 3 dead reds I changed over to worm and that made a difference. You had to wait a bit longer for the bite but it was the only way. My skimmers were not that big (around 4 - 6oz) and I needed some better quality ones but they didn't come to me.

You would get a run of them and then they would back off and despite trying a different line I found them hard to find bites were also a bit finicky.

It was a lovely bright sunny day but the north easterly played its part in keeping weights down but everyone enjoyed the day out.

I was paying top 4 as that what Steve tries to do as well as the £50 golden peg but that was carried over.

I didn't take any photos of the weigh in as I was already doing 2 jobs and it would have delayed the process but Clive Branson captured most of the day via his Vlog and I have attached the link below....

https://youtu.be/9EdgEGJFpVU

Also attached is the weigh board


As you can see it was a close affair with only ounces separating the top 4, I ended up 5th but 6lb off the pace.

Well that's the last match blog done for a while until the situation improves with this virus. I have decided to follow what my conscience is telling me and stop for now.

I may post the odd bit of news from the past to keep the blog going.



No comments:

Post a Comment