Monday 30 March 2020

Irish fishing adventures from the past Part 2 - Inniscarra Reservoir Co. Cork

Following the publication of Part 1 I was astounded concerning how many people had contacted me and telling me their own stories about Bailieborough . A lot even stayed at the same B & B and some even knew a couple of my mates that I went with.

I have also been sent a few more photo's ....


Steve with one of the nice brown trout we caught from Ramor


Turtle was self isolating back in the early 90's


Dale O with one of the many pike that troubled us on Drumkeary


Me out on Ramor 






OK so here's Part 2.......



In my previous post I wrote about my adventures around Bailieborough. I'm not sure how many times I went there but it was quite a few. I think we stopped going there after Brid and John were away when we wanted to go one year and we booked into the Bailieborough Hotel which wasn't quite the same plus a couple of our regular Watering Holes had closed as well.

It was decided to give Inniscarra Reservoir a try down in Co. Cork. I think 6 of us went, Steve Vernon, Tony Humphries, Dale Harvey, Andy Bryant aka Turtle, Leigh Wakefield and myself. Although these were more recent than the trips to Bailieborough my memory is a little cloudy about them so here goes.

I think we went twice but it could have bee three, the first time we went from Swansea to Cork which was a 10 hour overnight sailing. It was a a bit of a wreck and by the sound of the crew's accents was a Russian operation. Although there is free travel for both Irish and British Citizens between the two countries you are advised to take some form of photo ID. The van I was in got waved through the check point prior to boarding but the other van got stopped and Dale didn't have any ID, he was allowed to proceed eventually. The Ferry stopped running after the first trip so the second time we went Fishguard to Rosslare.

The route from Cork Harbour to where we were staying in Macroom took just over an hour as opposed to the 3.5 hour trip when we had to drive from Rosslare.

When we first went it was just pleasure fishing and we stayed at Coolcower House which is an old style country house, I think two sisters ran it.


The house was at the top end of the reservoir and about 2 miles south of the town of Macroom. The gardens went down to the reservoir and it did look nice but you could see lots of tree stumps in the water. I have read reports from anglers who stayed there catching lots of big rudd on the waggler shallow.

There was a lot of Dutch anglers staying at the house, they had come over to fish the Festival staying for at least two weeks. They got the travelling right, most of them flew over as Cork Airport was 30 minutes away and they hired a couple of vehicles, their tackle was driven over by two of their mates.

At the house they had plenty of bait fridges in a shed. I remember we had order a lot of worm because at the time Inniscarra was throwing up big bags of skimmers and bream as opposed to the mainly roach nets of the present day. We put our worm in the fridges and they all died! Still not sure why as I keep worm in the bait fridge at home no problem. The Dutch guys kept theirs outside without a problem and from what I remember it was very hot as I nearly lost my lips through sun sores as the week went on.

The main fishing area on Inniscarra is around the village of Coachford 20 minutes from where we were staying. We had to pick up our bait from O'Callaghans Bar in the village as they were the main agent. When we went to pick up our bait we were told where we could fish due to the Festival being on. At this time access was a bit of a problem, the access has now been improved following the World Feeder Angling Championships held there in 2014.

We managed to fish the Graveyard, Garden Centre and some other section during that first week. it was lovely fishing. Lots of skimmers and some bream. It was all feeder fishing and corn seemed to be the best bait on the hook.
One of the local anglers also told us about a lough joining Inniscarra but there were not many swims. no problem Dale went into a hardware store and bought a saw. Fair play he opened up a few more allowing all of us to fish together. It was that quiet there Dale and Turtle left their fishing gear in the bushes for the following day.

While fishing the Garden Centre Section one day a carp broke the surface a rod length out continuously between Steve and I. I believe on the the same day I saw my first otter in Ireland swimming from our bank across to an island.

On the evening of that first trip we drank in the bar at the guest house with the Dutch guys, they can drink. After talking to them we decided to go back the following year and fish a festival.

I think the second time we went we stayed up in the town of Macroom in the Lakeland Hotel, maybe we stayed there twice, it was OK and there was a bit more life about the place but compared to Bailieborough it was quiet. There were live bands at the weekend and people used to come and stay there just for the Friday or Saturday night.
I had a family holiday travelling around Ireland a few years after and the Hotel had been turned into some kind of Hostel, looked run down.

The Festival was great although the only downside was Steve had to drop us all off to our sections due to only taking one big van making him late getting to his. Even when we were dropped off it was quite a walk and over fences etc. 
The draw was in O'Callaghans Bar every morning as well as the results at the end of the week. I done ok for my first Irish Festival picking up 2 sections but the Dutch guys cleaned up. I remember one of the Glamorgan Rebel Anglers Mal Entwhistle telling me I had done well for my first time. The next time I saw Mal was last year when I first went to fish Port Talbot Docks.
Most anglers appeared to stay in the Coachford area but at the time accommodation was limited.


We used to eat out in various establishments in the evening. Dale must have been hungry then as he ate two Chinese starters and mains.


Dale ready for his mains!


It was a nice place but I have no intention of returning at the moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment