Friday 19 July 2019

Wednesday 17th July - Staverton Open

I was in two minds whether to fish this match today as the van is still in the garage but decided to go in the end with the vw passat.
A reduced turnout today for some reason but still 16 and pegged from the lower meadow up. Roach had started to show the previous week so was hoping for a decent peg to fish for them rather than a chubbier.

I was almost the last the draw and pulled out 55, wanted to be further down really.

When I got to the peg it was full of lilies right in front of me, totally unfishable. Gerry the organiser stopped and said they had cleared in out on the Sunday with the aid of a boat but suggested I moved up a few pegs, I was end peg anyway. Happy with that and settled in on 58.

To be honest I pissed about with the hemp too much in the first hour trying to get it right and just couldn't get through the small bleak.

Gave myself a talking to and sorted another rig out 0.6 gramme fishing a bulk with caster on the hook over ground bait and saw an immediate improvement. Started to catch pommies and chunky roach down the middle and was on for a weight ....... then pike, pike, pike.

Destroyed the swim for a good hour so came on the inside and had a few perch.

The caster line came good again an hour from the end and I ended up with 7lb 13oz.

Could have won it had it not been for the pike.

Weight sheets below.

Super League match this Sunday, 4 sections at Chippenham and 4 at Staverton.



No comments:

Post a Comment