Monday 20 August 2012

Sunday 19th August Clevedon Club Match Shiplake Farm

This was the second time the club has been to Shiplake Farm near Loxton and we were on West Pool which is a canal type match venue but much narrower at one end compared to the other maximum width is about 16 meters, I personally had never fished it before. The complex is very popular and does hold regular opens, the owners are also very friendly and accommodating.
I arrived in the car park in good time approx 8 o'clock and I could see that a few of the guys were already parked up and enjoying a cuppa in the fishery reception. I walked back to the car to unload and a few more had arrived, I knew John aka 'the duck' Wolstencroft was there because I could hear him before I saw him, John was having a good old moan about.... well just about everything, he should be on the panel on Question Time, he doesn't mince his words but very entertaining with it. I called out his name while he was having said moan(s) and took this pic, he always looks this happy when moaning.


It was a very warm day and overcast with light rain forecast so everyone was looking forward to it.
Chairman Steve Bonwick was in charge again today but only had to take care of the entry fee and pay out as the owners had gave us the peg numbers and would also weigh us in, great service.
Into the empty beer box which was used as the draw bucket, I was almost last to draw and I pull out peg 12 which mean nothing to me.
After a 10 minute walk I arrived at my peg and could see lots of fish activity along the whole length. On peg 11 to my right I had Nick Harvey but this time he had left Smudge the dog at home, probably just as well due to the number of geese around. I don't think Nick had fished the venue before either as he was on the phone to Dominic Sullivan for advise on depth etc, Dominic advised him it was about 2 foot deep across on the far shelf, it probably was if you went 16 meters plus, Nick actually found it to be around 3 to 4 feet!
I went across to plumb up and had around 4 feet at the bottom of the far shelf, no point in going any further as there was a risk of getting snagged in the far bank vegitation, there was a small will hanging in the water as well. Banded pellet was to be the hook bait over loose feed 6's. I set up a paste rig for the middle where I had about 5 feet and a soft pellet rig for the bottom of the the near shelf which was the same depth as the 14 meter line.
At the start the usual micro went in ith a few 4's on the near and middle lines. Straight across at 14 meters with banded 8 mm and after feeding one pouch of 6's the float buried and a carp about 2lb was in the net, happy days, Nick also had one but took a bit longer to land it. We both had about 4 fish each then in quick succession the it slowed a bit. I looked up and down the match length and there did not appear to be that muc activity hmm. On peg 14 or 15 John Wolstencrof was fishing the tip towards an aireator which was in full flow, I saw him catch a few but he as soon on the pole nicking the odd fish, he lost a good few at the net and the air was blue. Now I know I take the p**s out of John but he just can't help himself, he hooked a duck across on the pole and the air was even bluer, I hadn't said a word and he was shout 'Currie don't say a f*****g word or I'll sue you. I didn't respond, he is a big guy and done some time in the army. The duck escaped and then we had a laugh about it. I looked at Johns peg after the match, he even had 2 decoy ducks in his left hand margin, pic below, spooky or what!!



Anway back to the match. I tried the paste line as I felt confident it would produce due the amout of bubbles over the feed, I had a could of sail away bites but did not connect, I even tried away from the feed and the same thing happened they just were not having it. I could see Nick getting a few on the nearside but this was slow as well. I decided then to concentrate fully on the far bank line taking a fish about every 15 to 20 mins some were foul hookers and very angry but I landed most of them. The sun had come out halfay through the match making the conditions even hotter. At the end Nick suggested I was in ith a shout but I knew John was having a few as well plus there were some tidy anglers on the early pegs.
Steve the owner soon came round with the scales, John was first to weigh and had just over 50lb. hen it came to my turn I put just over 57lb on the scales, pic below, the shadow is Steve taking the pic.


I think Nick next to me weighed in mid 30's,after that weights tailed off. Paul Faires, who is never far away in the frame weighed in 38lb odd, 32lb was made up of a really nice net of bream and skimmers caught on dead maggot or worm, pic below.


Glenn Calvert put in a credible performance in a poor area for over 44lb. I won overall and the win was well overdue.

Local press report for North Somerset Times and Anglers Mail is as follows:

Currie stays cool in the heat to win
Clevedon Freshwater Angling Club visited Shiplake Farm Fishery near Loxton for their latest competition. The weather was overcast at first changing to bright sunshine and extremely warm with no breeze at all making the pool appear almost glass like. Fish could be seen moving along the far bank vegetation and were reluctant to venture out into open water. Press Officer Ivan Currie was on peg 12 and pole fished 8mm banded pellet at depth 14 meters across to the bottom of the far shelf most of the day to tempt a winning 57lb 14oz net of carp up to 5lb. Not far behind and off peg 14 was the ducks favourite angler John Wolstencroft. John weighed in 50lb 12oz but lost around 20lb of fish at the net. Glenn Calvert came third from the other end of the pool with 44lb 6oz. A beautiful net of bream weighing 32lb 8oz earned Paul Faires top place in the silverfish category. The club are holding an open on August Bank Holiday Monday at Acorn Fisheries Kingston Seymour, please check website for contact details http://clevedon-fwac.webs.com/.

Ist Ivan Currie 57lb 14oz
2nd John Wolstencroft 50lb 12oz  
3rd Glenn Calvert 44lb 6oz

1st Silvers Paul Faires 32lb 8oz

No match next Sunday but club open BH Monday on Acorn report to follow in due course.




2 comments:

  1. Great result Ivan, hope to see you at Summerhayes again soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, it was long overdue and topped a good weekend, I did enjoy the short session on the river on the Saturday. Catch up with you soon at Summerhayes

      Delete