Wednesday 29 August 2012

River Kenn Wednesday 29th August

With the week off work and no major jobs to do (Mrs. C was also at work) I planned to take full advantage of the situation. After the success of my short spell on the Kenn last week I planned another visit so popped down to Cadbury Angling yesterday and picked up a pint of caster and some maggot, I already had enough worm. Dan in the tackle shop suggested bream were being caught down near the sea wall. I fancied the motorway stretch myself and had thought about pre baiting the evening before. This didn't happen and I am glad I didn't bother as the wind up there today would have been awful. I got up around 8am and it was persisiting down, you had a job to see through it. I had some breakie and kept looking out at it, a quick check on the BBC site indicated it would be on and off all day with thunderstorms in the early afternoon. I went out to load the car up about 8.45, it felt warm and all of a sudden the rain stopped, that'll do for me. I was driving through Tickenham at 9.15, Bruce Springsteen came on the radio singing 'sunny day' and the heavens opened up again, but I was on my way. I decided to go down the bottom end and pitched up on peg 3, it has a nice solid bank and you can get down level with the water.


I decided just to fish the feeder so mixed up some sensas lake and bream 50/50, half pint of caster and a few grains of corn. With worm on the hook I cast about two thirds the way across, the river is quite wide here and the wind was getting up as well, heres what it looks like looking upstream from peg 3.


Three casts in and the tip rattles, as expected a small perch but at least it's a fish, a few more follow. In between looking at the tip I was watching the surface, although the wind was quite strong the pace of the river looked spot on. After 2 hours with only 4 small perch I decided to set up the waggler. First cast with mag and loose fed caster a roach of about 4oz takes the bait, then a few more and some perch, much more fun than watching the tip. I then hooked what I thought was a small fish the the rod went solid and the line shot off the reel, I thought a pike had taken it. I played it very carefully and got it's head up, a tench of about 4lb, my first ever Kenn tench. I continued to trot for the next couple of hours and only added small fish. The lightening arrived on schedule and it poured down again, once it had stopped about 2.30 I decided to pack up. Overall an enjoyable session, the Kenn has fished hard for the last 2 years but I think it's on the way back, lets hope so. My total weight for the day was around 6lbs. Go on give it a go.


If all goes to plan I will be fluff chucking on Blagdon tomorrow afternoon / evening. 



No comments:

Post a Comment