Saturday 18 August 2012

River Kenn - Strode Rd Sat 18th August

With the wife of to Seaton for the day I planned to get out on the Kenn, I haven't fished it yet this season but when I saw the roach about a week ago when a few of us were swim clearing I had to give it a try. I did intend to get out fairly early, around 9:00 but I was drawn to the shaving light above the bathroom mirror, it went a couple of months ago and it needed a new fitting. 'Simples' I thought a quick drive over to Homebase at Portishead, pick up a new one, fit it and off down to Cadbury Angling for some mag and caster at 10:30. Wrong, no lights in stock when I arrived so up the M5 to B & Q, got one eventually after a conversation with a very unhelpul lady ''well just because it's on display doesn't mean we have it in stock''. Back home with light fitting by 10:30 all wired up and fitted by 11:15, switch on, no light! bugger or words to that affect. Off comes the light and found a wire hand come loose. All back on and working (Mrs. C will be impressed) by 11:45. Then the dog looks at me with 'take me for a walk eyes', up the field and back by 12:15. Quick lunch and out the door, load up the car and in Cadbury for 13:15. Quick conversation with Toby on the way out I bump into Mike Lilly, quick conversation with mike heading for the door while talking. 'You'll have a job to get through the weed' says Mike. Anyway, finally arrived at Strode Road in Clevedon and after a quick walk up and down a couple of pegs I settled in in Peg 40, the one that Barry Fowler cleared the other Thursday night standing in the water wearing a wet suit and using a chain saw!!!!
Simple approach as I only had about two and a half hours. Waggler with maggot over caster. 0.10 bottom to a micro barb 18.
First chuck to the far bank without feeding the float buried and I had a 6oz perch. I fired in a few casters across and had a few more perch then they stopped coming. I had been feeding the middle as well so switched to this line and picked up a few roach and so more perch. The level of the river was more or less at winter level becuase of the recent rain and appeared a nice colour and was pushing through but when the sun came out you could see the bottom on the inside. The sun also caused the bites to cease and I went about 30 mins without anything. At 4:30 and shortly after I got snagged and had to put on another hook length the float buried and the tip arched over 'bream', after a good fight in mid river and avoiding the weed on the inside it was successfully netted. I had another couple of trots through but nothing was forthcoming. I packed up at 4:50. A guy who was feeding ducks (not John the duck Wolstencroft) kindly too the pick for me. The Bream went 5lb 4oz and the bits went 4lb 1oz, not bad for two and half hours.


Just as I arrived back at the car Darren Vowles (aka 'Nuddy') stopped on his way back from Horseshoe to make sure he wasn't seeing things (someone had actually fished the Kenn).
Club match at Shiplake Farm tomorrow, West Pool (its a long ditch really)

No comments:

Post a Comment