Thursday 30 July 2020

Wednesday 29th July - Staverton Open

Back to Staverton again for another well attended afternoon / evening match. All the usual suspects plus a couple of new guys from Cotswold Angling.

I have in the past picked up the draw ticket nearest to me when Gerry throws them up in the air and been drawing rubbish. This time I went for one in the middle and was gutted when I opened it revealing I was on 26, an absolute crap area so fishing for a section win at best.

Arriving at the peg I recognised it from a couple of years ago, very comfortable and a bit of shade but this would be a pole only job as I could see weed just under the surface all the way along the far bank.

A fairly even depth, little flow and no colour. 


1 and 1.5 gram rig to 5 and 6 elastic at 13 metres plus a 1.5 gram at 7 sections to 6 elastic to fish to my left under nearside bushes.
I had plenty of hemp and caster with me so decided to feed heavy with hemp long and caster on the inside. I did cup a couple of balls in with hemp and caster at 13 metres initially.

So....starting long and also feeding the short line I had a sail way bite on hemp first put in, a roach around 3oz then nothing more on the hemp in the first 20 minutes despite feeding regularly with the catapult. 

A swap to caster on the hook brought a flurry of bites but all gudgeon, not a bad size to be honest but wanted roach. A bonus 5 oz chublet was most welcome and after an hour and a half I thought I had about 1lb.
No need to panic though, it was a crap peg and sometimes better fish come late.

I came on the inside where I had been feeding the casters and not a sausage after about a dozen run throughs, could not believe it.
I decided to feed maggot on the inside instead from then on and eventually had a net roach and a couple of smaller ones. I also hooked a big perch but he done me in the nearside vegetation, bollocks!!

I didn't catch anything else down the near line after that so just kept catching gudgeon long. pike were prolific and attacked the incoming gudgeon frequently, still a bit of excitement on a dull day.

At 7 p.m. with an hour to go I was thinking of packing up but convinced myself to stay for a late flurry of roach but they didn't come.

Packing up Simon Lloyd down on the next peg, 24 said he had about a pound, I thought about chucking back but was glad I didn't.

Andy Pratten had the scales and did not weigh on 14, peg 16 weighed 1lb 9oz then Mark Kember put 10lb 9oz in the net off 21. We thought that would at least frame so I was hoping for a default section.
Simon on 24 weighed 1lb 4oz and my mainly gudgeon based net went 2lb 11oz ....lol.... get in.

So....never give up ..... always weigh in.

Mark on 21 went on to win the match, Kev Abigail was 2nd off peg 12 with 8lb 1oz so well done to them.


Mark with his winning catch

Super League Round 5 at Newbridge on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment