Sunday 26 July 2020

Catch Up (wish I could catch at the moment)

It's been a while since I blogged for various reasons 1) my blog set up changed for some reason and it took me a while to work out how to post etc, 2) a few projects at home (still ongoing) and 3) busy with my Club and Super League duties as captain.

Wednesday 15th July saw me at Staverton, drew peg 11 and had a couple of roach on the tare in 2 put in's. After that just little knocks on the tare and a few on hemp but they were a poor stamp of fish ended up 4lb plus for nowhere.

Saturday 18th I was on the River Kenn for our Clubs annual Charity Match. It was a good turn out with 32 attending and bream had been caught during the week. I drew peg 7, a good draw but only had 2 bootlace eels. 10 bream were caught during the match. Dan Dymond had 3 off peg 3 in the last hour of the match for 20lb 8oz and a match win. Craig Fletcher had 2 off peg 4 for 15lb 1oz for 2nd place and Paul Tedman-Whitemoor had 2 off peg 8 for 14lb, his first one was hooked and netted in the first minute.


Winner Dan Dymond

£300 was raised for the Orchard Trust which supports people with learning difficulties so a good result.

Sunday 19th I was back at Staverton for Round 4 of the Super League, there were 2 sections here plus 2 at Barton Farm. I drew a cracker of a peg, peg 29 which is a flyer if the chub feed. Sadly they did not and I ended up with 4lb 8oz and 7 points from 17. The rest of the team had a bad day as well.
As expected the long walk way past the sewer field at Barton Farm was the place to be and Dave Micklewright had a magnificent 51lb of bream from A2 with Andy Powell not far off the pace on A3 with over 40lbs.


Dave with part of his catch, think he referred to them as skimmers!

Wednesday 22nd July back at Staverton for the Wednesday Open, drew peg 11 again ffs! I thought I fished a good match and was really disciplined feeding 3 lines all match. I was doing ok on all of them. Wag, pole, whip. The fish were small though and the last 90 minutes I concentrated on the far bank line with the waggler and lost 2 chub in a snag halfway across the river. I weighed 4lb 10oz and the section was won with just over 6lbs so I should have had that. 
Tony Scott won the match landing 3 chub out of 4 in the final hour.

Saturday 25th July Chris and I fished the Angling Trust Canal Pairs on the Glossy. Draw was OK with me on 174 and Chris on 240. The canal was a grey silt colour due to water being pumped in from a dirty River Severn. The bream did not really feed. I think the best weight was 4 bream off the end peg down at Pilot. I had a few eels, ruff, perch and skimmers for 2lb 8oz which was a lot better than some. Needless to say we didn't qualify.

I have had a day off today (Sunday 26th July) as I feel fished out but no doubt I'll be back at Staverton on Wednesday. 
I walked along the River at Bradford on Avon today where the match was in the last Super League. Boats of all descriptions, swimmers, dogs in the water and what felt like hundreds of people. This year has been unique and there are a lot more people using our waterways than normal, I just hope they don't get to like it too much.

There are also a few people I know a bit down in the dumps concerning their fishing performance but that's just the way it goes the best part of the fishing year is yet to come on naturals and I for one will look forward to that.








No comments:

Post a Comment