Thursday 2 July 2020

Wednesday 1st July - Staverton Open Bristol Avon

Another good turn out for this Wednesday afternoon / evening open. Prior to the draw it absolutely pissed down for 10 minutes or so but that was it for the remainder of the day thank goodness.
Team mate Sam Johnson was with me again today while Mike was up at Evesham.

A couple of new faces this week and due to the fact that the Super League has a match on here in a few weeks time.

Gerry asked me to draw the ''secret'' golden peg which stands at £200.
The peg number is not revealed until the match is finished.

I picked up peg 4 which is a good early season peg for bream and mommies but roach probably a bit early. The early pegs did produce bream in the first matches as always but then they drift off.
Sam picked up 44 which was the peg Gary Etheridge was on below me last week.

Immediately below me was Kev Bennett and on the end peg below him Rich Chave, 2 pegs above me was the experienced Tony Scott.
These matches are very competitive and as always the draw is super important.

The river down my end had little flow and lilies were right down the middle of the peg, the deeper part was 6 metres out.

To be honest I think I messed up in my approach. 2 pole lines 13 and 6 metres and a waggler which only gave me bits and I think that was not set up correctly either plus I couldn't really feed across properly due to the breeze.

After messing about down the middle with little or nothing to show I came in on the inside and and had a 6 oz roach first put in which for some reason I decided to swing and yes it dropped off, there's a surprise. Later on I did the same again and got the rig in a right mess.

I could hear Kev and Rich talking and knew they were probably both on the whip.

It wasn't until the last 90 minutes that roach appeared in any number on the inside but they were only a couple of ounces each at the most.

I ended up with a meagre 4lb 7oz well and truly battered below me. Kev had a late 4lb bream to boost his weight and came 2nd overall beaten by a 14lb chub weight off peg 29.

For me the man of the match was young Andrew Cranston who put together a lovely net of roach for 11lbs and 3rd place.

Here are the results and a few photo's nicked from FB.

Team mate Sam done well to win his section, pity he didn't have a few more pounds as he was on the golden peg.






2nd placed Kev with his late bonus bream



Now that's a lovely net of pole caught roach from Andrew

As an aside a friend of mine in the Clevedon Freshwater Angling Club has been out on our local River Kenn this week. Yesterday he had 15 bream and they average 5 - 6lbs, just one of his fish below.


Scott Smallwood

You can now purchase full year and day tickets for the Kenn on line via our website
https://clevedon-fwac.co.uk

Back on the KSD this Sunday for Round 1 of the S W Super League.






No comments:

Post a Comment