Monday 3 August 2020

Sunday 2nd August - S W Super League Round 4 Bristol Avon Newbridge

The draw was performed as usual on the Friday evening via a Zoom Conference Call, I assisted again along with Simon Greening from Sensas 88. Mark Treasure was in charge due to Dave Micklewright being in Ireland. It was all kept under wraps until it was released around 5 p.m on Saturday.

Sam was on A7 in the Trees, I was on B11 which was upstream of the old Newton St Loe Railway Bridge, Chris on C15 which was around the upstream end of the straight and Leigh had D2 which was a good peg behind the Pumphouse.

We all met up in McDonalds Emery Rd Bristol which is the first time we have been able to do this for a while. While having a chat about the pegs it came to light Leigh had no waders or wellies so he went home to get them as we had plenty of time.

As I walked up the bank to my peg I passed Andy Britt who had started to get out on the bank again after his heart operation so it was good to see him. Andy was on B10 and one which I fancied. I also like B9 Neil Richards was on. Andy suggested I was on one of the worst pegs at Newbridge, great. 

The peg just downstream of the bridge was spare due to the risk of jumpers and swimming but as I went under the bridge and out the other side I found that the peg immediately upstream of the bridge was mine.

The rowers were on the water and on the bank there was some sort of organised walk so a tad busy. On the next peg upstream to me was waggler maestro Gary Etheridge.

The peg itself was fine once I got my rigger platform in the water.

Set up was 2 wanglers, one deep at around 6 foot and the other 4 foot, a 6 metre whip (not used), feeder rod and 11 metre pole (top 4 deep, 2 gram float).

8 balls in at the start laced with dead reds, caster and hemp at 11 metres and straight on it. A flurry of very small roach on the maggot, switched to caster and a better stamp but still small for Newbridge. I bumped quite a few as well not sure why as the hook was a drennan 20 match hook. Anyway the bites stopped completely after 40 minutes which is not unusual. 

Picked up the feeder rod and punched a maggot feeder under the far bank trees nothing the first 3 casts then a 5 oz perch. Only a few rattles after that so picked up the shallower waggler rod.
I had a chublet first cast and to cut a long story short I stayed on the waggler more or less the rest of the match just taking the odd look on the pole line now and again but didn't get a single indication.

I thought I might push 10lbs but was way out with the scales showing 5lb 9oz, not too far out then.
But.....given that youths were jumping off the bridge all day not bad and I ended up with 9 points from 17.

Apart from Andy Jane in my Section with 39lb of bream it fished hard especially on the pegs I fancied the other side of the bridge.


My Section Board


As a team we done OK finishing 5th out of 17 on the day.

Leigh done well weighing in 13lb plus to finish 2nd in section and 6th overall.


Leigh with his mainly chub bag caught on the waggler


Team points on the day and cumulative


Section winners and top 6

Final round next week, same venue although A section will be at Chequers.


No comments:

Post a Comment