Sunday 28 June 2020

Sunday 28th June - S W Super League Practice Match, King Sedgemoor Drain

This was the only practice match scheduled for this years S W Super League. It's great that the League is still going ahead and only possible due to a lot of organising behind the scenes, but more on that next week.

Today's match was organised by Ben Rendall, Kev Dicks, Ben Matthews and Paul Purchase so a huge thanks to them, not easy under normal circumstances never mind following COVID-19 guidance. Thanks also must go to the 37 Club in Puriton for allowing the draw to be carried out in their car park.

74 booked in 72 turned up.

Two access points today which were displayed on my van windscreen which also meant I had to wait until the draw had been completed. Not a problem as fishing was from 11:00 - 16:00.


I was draw in D Section, peg 35. I hadn't fished down that end before and followed Paul Purchase to the parking area. 

Team mate Chris Hook was also fishing today, he was in the same area but in C Section.
I stopped when I came to Chris who seemed pretty happy with his peg as he had drawn it before and won his section with 12lb last year.

The pegs here look very much alike with lilies on the inside and reeds and lilies across. 



A couple of wild swimmers went past on the far side while I was setting up, that's a new one for me!





My plan was 6 metre whip, 13 metre pole, waggler and feeder. 

We usually fish this venue a bit later in the year and it ends up a bit of a fish race on the whip. Roach, Rudd, Perch, Hybrids and Skimmers making up quite a few double figure weights.
Paul suggested that the early pegs in A section could throw up some bream weights.

On the ''all in'' I fed my pole line and planned to leave it for a good hour. Starting off on the whip feeding small nuggets of ground bait and caster I had a few small perch and blades straight away. I was throwing casters in regularly. it went quiet after 20 minutes so came up in the water a bit and nailed a hand sized skimmer, sadly that was the only one. Double fluro pinkie brought a couple of very small roach and then a small jack pike took the pinkie on the way down. I did land it and after that the whip line completely died. 

It was almost and hour and a half into the match so went out on the 13 metre line with two dead reds.

At this point the wind was off my back. I missed a sail away bite which may have been a liner as when I put the rig back in the same spot the float went under and I was playing a small bream no more than 2lbs.

Word was it was fishing hard down our end, I only added a few small rudd across on the waggler and a few wasp like perch on the pole. I had a tench line by the lilies but no joy. There were a couple caught on the day.

Here's my Section Board, I won it with 4lb 12oz worth £70.


The match was won by GBV Angler Steve Long with 21lb 11oz of bream on the tip off peg 2 so well done to him.
Young Andrew Cranston had 21lb 2oz off the next peg and Andy Power had 17lb for 3rd.

Back next week for the first round of the League, going to be hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment