Monday 3 October 2022

Sunday 2nd October - Bristol Commercial House League Rd 3, Bristol Avon, Swineford, Crane and Jack Whites

 I had a few team management problems prior to this match. Chris and Brian had to pull out due to health issues and Mike was up North somewhere on Saturday and wouldn't get home until late. 

So with 50% of the team to replace it took a bit of phoning around but in the end I got enough cover with some help from Nicola Goodhind (thanks Nicky).

Sensas Nomads Team today was.....

Myself, Sam Johnson, Leigh Wakefield, Jan Van Mazyk, Andy Cranston (guest) and Jack Jones (guest).

We had a bit of catching up to do after a disastrous Round 2 as per the table below.....                                                                                                                                                                                 

Mosella Bathampton 45
M & N Electrical 38
Midland Spinner 37
Sensas Nomads 36
Crown 22

The draw was at the Crown Pub in Keynsham as usual and they do a great breakfast. After breakfast I handed over 5 boxes of Sensas ground bait and a set of whips which had been ordered by Kev Dicks and Ben Rendall who fish for Nomads in the Wye Winter League. All supplied by M5 Angling.

I collected the £20 pools money off the guys, Andy actually gave me a £50 note which Nicky bounced back at us because you have to change them up in a bank now, not that I'd know.

Prior to the draw Mike Goodhind announced a thank you message on behalf of Vince Lunn who was running the London Marathon on behalf of Children's Hospice S W, a lot of the anglers including myself had sponsored him. Well done Vince.


Pegs



We were last but one to draw, Sam was on A2 at Swineford, Leigh just into the second field at Swineford, Jan to of the Crane, Jack on the Cattle Grid on the Crane, Andy around E4 at JW's and me on F3 JW's.

It was a fairly wet start to the day and slippery underfoot as we walked to the pegs. On the way to the pegs at JW's everyone helped assist each other over the Kissing Gate which was the only obstacle.

When got to my peg F3 I recognised it as it was end peg here in this section on the last match. It was ok except for the fact your are about 3 metres off the water.


My view from the top of the bank.

I needed to use a rope to assist with getting up and down and put some dead grass in the mud to stop me skidding into the river, but by this time the rain had stopped. I also assisted Gary Gross get his box down to the water on his peg F2.

The pole was left behind and I only set up a 3 gram bolo on the long rod, a 7BB crow quill and a maggot feeder. Ground bait mix was 50 /50 Sensas Black River and Gros Gardons Noire.

I shouted the all in at 1015 and put in 4 balls of hemp and caster down the middle.

First trot down with the bolo I had a small chub which I netted, it was a stretch and used all 4 metres of the landing net handle. No bites for a couple of runs down and then some roach turned up . Not a bad size either but swingable. I did misjudge swinging some of them resulting in them hitting the bankside vegetation underneath me, nightmare. 

I was loose feeding a few casters and hemp but that only seemed to push the fish down the peg and I ended up catching a few roach there. Putting in a few more balls didn't improve the situation but for the first half of the match I was doing ok.

During the last 2 hours I caught the odd dace and a few roach across on the maggot feeder but couldn't get the to settle so swapped between the bolo and the quill to nick a few roach now and then.

I had no phone calls from the team which is usually a good sign but did have a couple from Gary above me who always like to know what's going on lol.
I had no idea how JW's was fishing.

This is how my section ended up. Jerry who had 11lb odd had one bream and lost one plus broke his top set on the pole. He also had bream rolling in front of him but they wouldn't get their heads down.

I sort of bombed out bring back only 2 points from 5 and the peg was worth more than that although most said their pegs died off in the last 2 hours.


Sam called me to say he was 2nd in section as he had to get home quickly, he also said he thought Leigh had done ok.

On the way back I caught up with Andy who won E section with 21lb odd on the whip.

Back at the pub it got better. Jan won his section as did Jack. Leigh was last back and he won his with 31lb of chub, it was also top weight on the day.


Leigh with his match winning bag

So we ended up having 4 section wins and a 2nd in section plus me ...... lol totalling 26 points from a possible 30. (and the top 3 individuals).

Results on the day:

Sensas Nomads 26
M & N Electrical Services 21
Midland Spinner 19
Mosella Bathampton 18
Crown 5

The League Table now looks like this ........

Mosella Bathampton 63
Sensas Nomads 62
M & N Electrical Services 59
Midland Spinner 56
Crown 27

So job done and back in the frame, next match is on the same venue 16th October.

I also got my Poppy Ticket from Rich Lacey, biggest and best match in the area plus a great cause.




Clevedon Club Match on the Kenn next Sunday.




No comments:

Post a Comment