Monday 24 October 2022

Sunday 23rd October - Sensas Commercial House League Rd 5, Bristol Avon Newbridge

We were hoping for some rain before this match and we got it just in time, not a lot but enough.

Going into this round we were 3 points clear at the top and needed to do the business to maintain our position.

I checked all my rigs during the week making sure I had enough to fish top 5 with 2.5, 3.0 and 4.0 gram floats in case it was pushing through and to cover the deep pegs.

The pegging plan was published the day before which is always useful and we were going to be well spread out.



Team today was ...

Me

Sam Johnson

Leigh Wakefield

Dave Lewis

Jan Van Myzak

Brian Melksham

When I left home it was hammering down but due to stop around 1030 and then hammer down around 1600.

We were about 3rd to draw and I picked set 1 out of the bag of dreams, then D for the individual sections.

This put me on D4 (a long walk), Sam E3, Leigh F2, Jan A1, Dave B5 and Brian C2.

Arriving at Newbridge the Farmer had his pumpkin picking event all set up and one of his marshals sorted us out for parking to make sure we didn't obstruct the visitors today, it was well organised.

The walks can be long at Newbridge but all on the flat and no gates, note to self though ..... don't have too many layers on ! 

Walking past Paul Purchase on the way down he asked me what I thought, I said I think its going to be a bream river later, he agreed.

The peg was comfortable even though it was about 3 metres off the water.


There was a slight tinge of colour and the flow was about 2/3rds the way across.

I plumbed up with a 2.5 gram rig set at top 5 and found it was about 15 foot deep at 7 metres with a nice clean bottom. My top set had a black 8 elastic in it for swinging those roach and hitting the bite at depth. That'll do I thought with the target being roach and maybe a skimmer or two. 

I only set up a couple of feeder rods in addition to the pole, one with a 25 gram feeder and the other had a 30 gram.

I planned to ball it in at the start on the pole line and had 2 kilo of Sensas River and 1 kilo of Sensas Gros Gardons pre mixed. For the feeder I had 50 / 50 Sensas River and F1 dark.

I put 8 jaffa's in on the pole at the start with half a pint of caster and hemp mixed in then 3 down the middle with worm and caster.

I did expect to catch on the pole straight away and I did, a nice 4oz roach. The first hour was really positive, loads of bites and fish but as usual they tailed off a bit. Putting in a couple of egg sized balls again brought them back which doesn't always work but was soon catching stamp roach again and a couple of blade skimmers and hybrids. 

Just before the 2 hour mark I phoned Sam who said he was still catching roach but it was very slow. I told him how I was doing and didn't know wether to have a look on the tip. He said it would be worth a look.

Ten minutes later I cast the 25 gram feeder out with double worm on a 14. I started to chop up some worm when out of the corner of my eye saw the tip go forward and then drop back. Bream on, couldn't believe it.

It was a stretch to net it but was soon in the keep net.

Next cast same again within a matter of minutes and another 4lb bream, boom !

Soon after Shane Caswell came down, he was 3 pegs upstream. He said he was catching roach on the pole but had spoke to Mike Goodhind above me who had 5 bream ! He also said Andy Richings above him was having a few. 

That information made me stay on the tip the rest of the match but I did keep feeding the pole line just in case.

I was getting plenty of knocks on the tip from small fish and did catch the odd roach and perch.

Around 2 o'clock I had a good bite and thought I had hit it too late but wasn't the case as bream number 3 was netted.

The river was getting more coloured and thought that would be it. 30 minutes before the all out I had another bream so was well happy.

I packed up and started to weigh in from the peg below me. Craig Amos had a nice net of roach and a small bream for 11lb 8oz so I knew I would have at least 2 points.

Craig then weighed me in. We weighed the bream first as the scales only go to 20lb. My 4 bream went 17lb 10oz and the roach and other went 13lb 7oz giving me 31lb 1oz.


catch shot of my 4 bream

I then went up to weigh in Mike, it looked like he didn't have any any more bream and some of them were smaller than mine. Mike weighed just over 23lbs

Shane was next and managed one baby bream on top of his roach for just under 14lb.

Andy 2 nets Richings was next and it took 4 weighs to give him a magnificent 81lbs



section board, over 160 lbs between 5 anglers


Andy with part of his match winning bag

I managed 3rd overall on the day but as a team we bombed out. Only one match left and I think the best we can do is finish 2nd. Well done to the Bathampton boys today, great result.

Full match report from Vince Lunn below..........

The 5th round of the Commercial House League 2022 was fished on the Bristol Avon at Newbridge. The river started quite clear but coloured up a little bit after the heavy overnight rain. It’s was mainly dry and mild during the match.
The river fished well again with 14 double figure weights from the 26 anglers. Only 1 angler had less than 6 lbs.
The winner of the match was Andy Richings fishing for Mosella Bathampton. Drawn on peg 48 he fished the feeder 3/4 across and caught around 20 bream and skimmers on a variety of hook baits. He weighed 81 lbs 9 ozs.
2nd was Andy Pritchard also fishing for Mosella Bathampton. He was on peg 40 and caught 2-3 lbs on the crowquill in the first hour. He then fished the feeder 3/4 across in the slacker water. With worm on the hook he caught 9 bream to finish with 33 lbs 4 ozs.
3rd was Ivan Currie of Sensas Nomads who was drawn on peg 59. He fished the pole for the first 2 hours catching 13 lbs of roach, hybrids and perch. He then tried the feeder and had 2 bream quickly on double worm so he stayed on it, catching 2 more bream at the end of the match. He weighed 31 lbs 1 ozs.
4th Paul Purchase - M & N Electrical - 27 lbs 15 ozs
5th Mike Goodhind - M & N Electrical - 23 lbs 9 ozs
6th Steve Skelton - M & N Electrical - 19 lbs 12 ozs
Mosella Bathampton had a good day, dropping only 2 points on the day and taking the lead overall in the league. M & N were 2nd on the day and move upto 2nd in the league, 7 points behind Mosella Bathampton.
Teams on the day
Mosella Bathampton 28
M & N Electrical 23
Sensas Nomads 17
Midland Spinner 15
Crown 3
League positions
Mosella Bathampton 107
M & N Electrical 100
Sensas Nomads 99
Midland Spinner 92
Crown 45





No comments:

Post a Comment