Wednesday 12 February 2020

Wednesday 12th February - Pleasure session River Kenn

I was planning to go to Chippenham in order to target chub but the rain prior to today messed that up. My local River Kenn can take a bit of water due to being tidal and controlled by the sea gates so off I went.

High tide was at 09:00 so there was not much point in fishing until about 12:00. I set off from home around 10:45 in order to get a bit more maggot but could not get any due to both tackle shops being closed. I knew Zoe at Acorn Fishery had a key to the tackle shop (Cadbury Angling) and she does normally serve in Dan's absence but she wasn't there today. Still I had about 3/4 pint of red and some worm as well as lobby's.

Spent my maggot money on a sausage sandwich in Clevedon before heading down to the river at Strode Rd. I had a walk along the bank first and there were 2 anglers one on 34 the other on 33. Reg on 34 had a full annual tab the other with no ticket. Told me he couldn't get one due to the tackle shop being closed. We don't sell tickets on the bank but I wrote hi out a ticket on a scrap piece of paper due to there being no other anglers around and he was just lure fishing for a few hours, bollocking was accepted and he handed over £5.

I decided I would fish well upstream from them and decided on a peg in the dead reds between 37 and 38.
As I returned wheeling my gear past the two other guys Reg landed a jack pike on the worm.


Reg with his pike

I had my waggles rods already set up so it didn't take long to get organised in the peg and I was fishing by 12:15. Chris Ford soon came up for a look and then Kev Perry. They stood behind me willing the float to go under but it looked a waste of time. After 40 minutes Kev said I was unlikely to catch due to all the cold rain that had gone into the river the day and night before.

I kept feeding red maggot every cast and eventually the float went under about 20 yards downstream and a good fish was on. I netted a hybrid of around 2lbs, lovely. Plugging away and continually feeding and trotting, holding back I had another good fish. It looked like a big roach but in fact it was another hybrid with more roach in it than bream.

Chris and Kev walked off to have some lunch but Chris said he would be back. 

Around 14:00 I had a lovely perch up on the far shelf and then a small jack but it bit through the line just before I netted it.
Another 2 decent perch and a lost pike was my lot over the next couple of hours.

The river in the afternoon was spot on but I do think the cold rain had affected it.


an enjoyable day, thanks to Chris for taking the photo

Port Talbot Dock Open on Sunday weather permitting .




No comments:

Post a Comment