Wednesday 31 July 2013

Wednesday 31st July Fly Fishing session on Chew

I have had the week off work just to chill and catch up with a few odd jobs but always planned to have a mid week fishing session. I was planning to go on the River Kenn but looking at the weather forecast and with little cover I thought I may have got drenched so a day session on Chew it was to be. I got to Woodford Lodge about 10:30 and there were plently of boats available, it would have been almost impossible to fish from the bank given the wind. Paid my £36.50 which includes fishing ticket and 8 fish, no catch and release at the moment due to the warm conditions, fair enough. The advice I was given was to fish deep so I set up a 15 foot leader with 2 diawl bachs (1 red, 1 green) and a gold head black buzzer on the point. Boat No. 32 was loaded and off I went, not that many out on the water today so loads of room across 1200 acres!I decided to stay close to the Lodge bank and just worked my way up and down drifting in the wind and windy it was at times.



on the high seas looking towards the Lodge and Sailing Club.

After about 30 mins I felt my set up was not right, I had spotted a few fish rising so swapped the point fly to an orange booby to fish washing line style and up in the water. What a good move that was, within 10 mins I had my first fish, fishing was difficult with a massive strong tow, nearly fell out of the boat once while standing up controlling the line. Another hour passed and I caught another up near the dam wall and missed a few pulls, then it went quite. Back down the lake and below the Lodge I just kept drifting in and then went back out about 500 yds and kept going over the same ground. By 5 p.m. I had my limit, 8 fish for 16lb 8oz, nice eating. Here they are......


I called into a friend on the way home and gave him 2, had one for tea myself and the rest are in the freezer.
Booked into the Chippenham Saturday Open on the upper Bristol Avon, probably be a roach and small chub match.

No comments:

Post a Comment