Monday 7 June 2021

Sunday 3rd June - Gloucester Canal Spring League Final Round (4)

 Firstly a huge thanks to Mark Treasure and all his helpers who have made this League possible including Kev Forty from the Canal and River Trust and the Farmers who gave permission to park on their land. It has taken a lot of organising, I applaud you all, simply brilliant.

On a personal level the League had done my head in as I have had a diabolical draw every time. The fish have not played ball due to an unseasonal May but even if they had I would still have not been on fish.

Team mates Sam and Chris have drawn pretty well and have done very well with Chris having a section win and a 6th overall. Sam has had a section placing and a 3rd overall. Leigh and I have been blocked from phoning the Samaritans its been that bad. In fact a comment from Lobby's Andy Jane summed it up....as the draw is done and communicated on the Saturday evening you have over 12 hours to think about your bad draw!

This latest round was no different for me, peg 33 on Hempstead Straight. I was gutted, Sam had this peg in an earlier match and 1lb was good ffs!

Sam had an end peg at Castle Down, Leigh was just out of the bay at Saul Junction and Chris was just out of the bend at Hempstead peg 50.

Meeting up at McD's Cribbs Causeway Bristol for breakfast the guys knew I was a bit down, the tell tale sign was probably the bandages around my wrists. 

The night before it was made worse when Clevedon Club mate Kev Perry text me to say he had an end peg (Kev fishes for Sensas 88 and rarely goes up to the Glossy unless someone puts his arm up his back).

So up the M5 we go and I parked up at Hempstead Bridge to walk down past the better pegs (nothing unusual about that). Peg 33 is the Gas Pipe peg, there is a valve or something in the hedge almost directly behind you and you do smell gas all day. You are also right on the tow path so care is needed. 

While tackling up a baby rabbit kept coming out of the hedge......


Usual Glossy set up (2 pole rigs short and long and 2 feeder rods).

I was set up in plenty of time and took a walk down to see Chris. Spoke to DGL's Lee Green on the way who was on 37 and he said Skimmers should feed and we'll get a few bites, I said I'd hold him to that. Stopped to talk to Gary Gross who was on 43 and prevented him stepping on a pole section. On the bend was Dave Micklewright and Mark Harper so no mistakes are going to be made there. Got to Chris who said bream were rolling in his peg and 51!
I never walk the bank before the match but looking at the other anglers set up's confirmed mine was the same (just needed a better peg).

I started off on the bread right across about 2 metres out from the tins and after 20 minutes and 3 chucks had a 6oz roach which surprised me. 10 minutes later another roach but around 3oz. 2 more chucks and a drop back resulting in a 12 oz skimmer. I thought it must have been lost.

After an hour and 15 minutes I was out on the long pole line which I had fed. The float disappeared but when I struck ....nothing. Put in again and the same thing happened but I had it this time, a boot lace eel.

Over the period of the match I put a few boot lace eels in the net a small perch and a few skimmer blades.
I knew I would be way down in the section due to the peg but was pleased that my 3lb 1oz beat 5. I thought I fished a good match and don't think I could have done any better.



I had knew Sam had had a good match but was surprised when he told me he had 12 big skimmers for 28lb plus, this gave hime 3rd place in the whole match. Leigh got out of jail with a bream in the closing minutes beating 8 in his tough section and Chris had 4lb odd, the bream didn't play ball in his peg.

Overall and Section results as follows.....

GLOUCESTER CANAL SPRING LEAGUE RESULTS SHEET ROUND 4 

INDIVIDUAL WINNERS


NAME

TEAM

WEIGHT

PEG

1

Mark Brush

DGL Black

36-13-0

440

2

Paul Kaye

Team Hereford

31-10-0

456

3

Sam Johnson

Sensas Nomads A

28-2-0

443

4

Rob Kerslake

Maver Harescombe

27-15-0

471

5

Tim Frampton

Misfits

27-3-0

65

6

Mick Nowicki

GBMV

24-0-0

472


SECTION WINNERS



NAME

TEAM

WEIGHT


A1

1

Nigel Baker

Sensas Lobbys Red

14-10-0

2

Chris Rushton

GBMV

14-5-0

3

Sean Grange

Misfits

11-14-0


A2

1

Pete Goulding

Team Hereford

18-3-0

2

Kev Perry

Sensas 88 A

13-0-0

3

Lee Trevitt

Preston Innovation Thatchers

12-4-0


B1

1

Mark Harper

Preston Innovation Thatchers

16-15-0

2

Andy Powell

Sensas Lobbys Red

16-12-0

3

Dave Micklewright

DGL Black

15-7-0


B2

1

Mark Bisset

Gowna Dreamers

13-12-0

2

John Hanna

Browning West Midlands Xitan 

12-4-0

3

Glen Calvert

Sensas 88B

12-1-0


C1

1

Scott Geens

Woodys Tackle

21-5-0

2

Luke Downing

Rive Fishermania

20-9-0

3

Steve Ward

Browning West Midlands Sphere

19-8-0


C2

1

Ian Hingley

Milo Bait Tech Midlands Red

19-3-0

2

Paul Jeffrey

Evolved Baits Midlands Match

12-2-0

3

Guy Manton 

Preston Innovation Thatchers

9-12-0


D1

1

Adam Palmer

DGL Red

23-10-0

2

John Pantrey

Browning West Midlands Sphere

19-5-0

3

Rob McKenzie

Mix and Match

8-12-0


D2

1

Mark Gaylard

Sensas Lobbys Green

10-11-0

2

Ian Didcote

Garbolino/Dynamite Baits Diddymen

9-13-0

3

Clive Raynor

Gowna Dreamers

8-3-0


Final League Table........



So that's it well done to DGL Black for the win.

The SW Super League starts soon so that's summer sorted along with Evesham and Staverton matches plus s bit of pleasure fishing on the Kenn.

No comments:

Post a Comment