Monday 28 June 2021

Sunday 27th June - S W Super League Round 1 King Sedgemoor Drain

Here we go again, another year another Super League, doesn't time fly.

There was 16 Teams of 4 originally booked in for the League this year but at the last minute a Team withdrew. The pegging had already been sorted so the 4 sections of 16 remained and if you had a blank peg next to you that was just the way it was.

The 37 Club in Purition was the HQ and apart from wearing face masks everything else was near normal as opposed to the ''on line process'' last year.

Although it was big Sections of 16 there would be two Mini Sections of 8 for payout and points making it a tighter League.

Our Nomads Team today was....

Me, Chris Hook, Sam Johnson and Andy Thomas ( all that was missing was a Scotsman).

After a hearty breakfast the draw got underway with Dave Micklewright and Chris Parr in charge. We had put in our Team Sheet quite early and paid the pools so were about the 4th to draw.

No end pegs this time, Chris was in A Section (Bradney Up) on peg 2 and one up from where he was the week before. Sam was in B Section peg 21, I was on peg 39 in C Section and Andy on peg 55 above Parchy Bridge.

So apart from Chris who was near to an end peg the rest of us were middle diddle.

Personally after the practice last week I was not expecting big weights.

As I left the 37 Club the Devizes guys asked me where I had drawn.....another end peg I said.....well the response was FFFF£%&*@$!!!!!! .....then I said ...only joking lol.

No parking issues at Parchy Bridge and we rammed the car park as instructed to stop any paddle boarders etc.

I walked down the cycle patch to my peg and Dan Squire was below me on 38. Dan's response was ... there can't be many fish around here if you have drawn this area.  Err ummm last week I was 3rd don't you know.

I looked at my peg and the flat area was well down below the bank but it was in a bird cage which would cause problems casting the feeder. I set to work pulling down branches as best I could with a weed cutter and breaking them off and after about 30 minutes it was much better but still a bit awkward. I asked around for a saw but no one had one (I have ordered one now to keep in my bag).


My peg after some tree work

The peg did look nice with plenty of cover across and some lilies so I would target this for better fish. Same set up on all lines as last week, well it did work to a degree.

As fishing was from 11 - 4 there was plenty of time but it's surprising how quickly it goes.

8 feeder fulls went in at the start across, 2 balls went in at 13 metres and 1 at 5 metres. 2 gram rig long in case the tow picked up and a 1 gram rig short. I also baited up a tench line with worm and caster plus a little corn.

After 10 minutes feeding etc I started short and as expected a bite straight away, a small skim bob and as i brought it in a pike attacked it making quite a bite of noise. Dan heard it next door, so not a good sign.

I could hear Dan catching next door but my inside line was quiet but I persevered for 10 minutes and had a few small roach. The inside line died again quite quickly forcing me out long after 30 minutes. A small skimmer took the bait almost immediately. That was the only fish I had long.

Coming back short I had the odd bite and felt things would improve but not really.

My first chuck across with the feeder at 12:45 gave me a little pull which I hit and it was a bream, not huge but much appreciated.

Dan heard me land it and followed suit by going out across himself.

I had a few blades across but no bonus fish and only a few blades short. Thank goodness I had that baby bream.

At the end of the match the word on the bank was that it was a struggle in our section.

Ruben came up with the scales and he was best with 5lb 14oz which included two skimmers, he took the mini section.




My fish went 4lb 1oz which was 3rd best in the mini section so 6 points which was worth having from 8. Maybe I should have gone across earlier on the feeder?




Chris was 2nd in his section with 6lb 11oz so 7 points and a £40 pick up, Sam had 6lb plus as well but his section fished pretty well and had 4 points, Andy had 7lb plus but it was only worth 2 points which is hard to believe, had in been in the other half of his mini section he would have won it I think.

Anyway because of the new points system lots of teams tied at the top and we ended up with 19 points and 5th, the top team Gordon League Black had 24 so not a lot in it.

The match was won overall by James Carty with 17lb plus (4 bream) so well done to James (he's part Irish you know).

Back on the KSD for Round 2 next week and I may go back to Evesham on Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment