Friday 18 June 2021

Sunday 13th June - Port Talbot Docks Open

 Back to Port Talbot Docks for what will probably be my last match here until the Autumn.

It was forecast to be a pretty warm day with bright sunshine so a good peg was needed i.e. not in a shallow area. I pulled up outside Bro's Cafe around 07:40 and as usual the food was top nosh. There was a pretty good turnout when I arrived in the Dock so the payout would be very good.

I was hoping to avoid the early numbers for a change and when I was drawn peg 18 I was pretty happy. Not fished it before but I know from experience that its a reasonable area to catch skimmers. Clive Roberts confirmed this but also said it was a good short pole / whip peg.


It went off deep very close in. I sent up an 11 metre pole where it was top 5 deep, a 5 metre whip at full depth, another 5 metre whip at half depth and a feeder rod.

I had Clive Branson next to me on 17 and Shaun Parsons on the other side peg 20.

I threw in 2 jaffa's short at 5 metre's and 2 long at 11 metres (black lake and gros gardons wit some mole hill soil). Bream and skimmers have not showed that much of late but I had a fishmeal mix made up anyway to try later on the feeder.

It did not take long to get a few roach long but after 20 minutes it went quiet so re-fed and came in on the whip at full depth. More roach followed but the bites tailed off.
I was also loose feeding hemp and caster and had a few at half depth but it was slow. I chopped and changed around the float lines but did not think I it was going anywhere. Clive next door was getting bigger roach up in the water on the waggler when the wind allowed him to present it properly.

At around 13:15 I decided to have a look on the feeder to try and get some bonus fish.

After about 6 casts 5 minutes apart at 20 turns the tip went around and a skimmer was netted, not bit but at around 12 oz was worth having. Another followed straight away so this made my mind up to stay on this line and method the rest of the match.

It wasn't fast and furious but I did get fish on a regular basis and had a days fishing.

Team mate Clive Roberts easily won the match again with 26lb plus of roach and Richy Candy was 2nd with 21lb again all roach. These guys are deadly on the whip. Owen Davis on end peg 21 had a couple of proper bream and mullet on the whip for 20lb plus and third place.

My 16lb was ok and wish I had of went on the tip an hour or so earlier.



Owen was the only one who had bonus fish.


Thanks to Geoff Brierley for the refreshments after the match.....




Staverton Open on Wednesday 16th June next...


No comments:

Post a Comment