Monday 21 June 2021

Sunday 20th June - S W Super League Practice Match King Sedgemoor Drain

I had the choice of 2 matches today, a Club Match on the River Kenn or the Practice Match on the KSD. 

It had to be the KSD as the 1st Round of the S W Super League begins on the venue next Sunday. The Sensas 88 guys were running the match today and always do a good job in terms of organisation and swim clearing. The 37 Club in Woolavington were our hosts for the breakfast, draw and results so thank you to them.

Only 2 of the team of 4 were fishing today, Chris Hook and myself. 

There were around 50 anglers fishing and there was one section at Brandney Up and the others above and below Parchy Bridge.

Bream were likely to dominate the winning weights and Sensas 88's Paul Purchase had a nice bag on the pole on Opening Day. The KSD can be a bit of a fish race with roach, rudd, perch and pommies but the odd tench can feature as well.

After breakfast I was well done in the draw que with rich Whitmarsh behind me. Rich did comment that there were a lot of scales not drawn and he was sure I would end up with a set.

Chris Parr drew me ''green milk bottle top'' 13, Bradney Up, scales but it was an end peg so more than happy to carry the extra weight to an end peg. When Chris drew he also had Bradney Up and the first peg, so another end one.

Parked up after following Chris to Brtadney Bridge and there were plenty of good anglers in my section, well they all are in this League to be fair, all hardened natural venue anglers.

It was a nice easy walk up to my peg and looking at the KSD there appeared to be a tinge of colour in it but this can trick you because of the peaty bottom.

Got two my peg and it was very comfortable, clear of weed on the inside and so pads right across.


I set up a feeder rod, 2 short pole lines at 6 metres and 1 long at 14 metres. 

It was full top 4 deep in the middle and top 3 at 6 metres. I set up 2 identical rigs at 6 metres because it it turned into a fish race and you tangle up then you don't waste time setting up again. I have learned this from experience and it has cost me the section.

We had plenty of time to set up as fishing was 1030 - 1530.

At the all in 2 balls of roach mix went in short and 2 balls of skimmer mix went in with chop and caster long the 8 feeder fulls of fishmeal, chop and dead maggot right across.

Starting off short I was expecting a bite right away but nothing! Lifting and dropping brought a perch about 3 oz after 10 minutes. Loose fed pinkie over the top brought a very small roach and a pommie but it was painfully slow. 

After 40 minutes I went out long and had another small perch first drop then a stamp roach and it went quiet but stuck at it for 30 minutes before having a look on the feeder.

Gave the feeder a go for 15 minutes but no indication at all so came back in short, I had been loose feeding over the top of both pole lines.

Another small pommie short and then nothing, out long nothing, then I saw a big bream roll across just to the right of my far line feed so had to chase it.

After casting and within about 15 minutes it was bream on. A good fish of around 6lb was netted. It was still a bit rough around the head so they have spawned late on the KSD. Re-cast and had a skimmer around 1.5 lbs. 

I knew I was doing ok as I could hear anglers below talking to each other about how hard it was fishing.

I had a drop back and it was another bream. As I was playing it about 4 of the anglers below came behind me which was a suprise, not as big as the first bream but at 3lb defo worth having. The guys behind confirmed most others were struggling and off they went.

I still fed my pole lines but given what I knew my mind was made up to fish the tip the rest of the match.

It must have been about 30 minutes before the tip flew around and just kept going. I thought it must be a carp as there are a few in the KSD. The fish went downstream at a rate before I managed to turn it and then it came on the inside and still went down stream lodging itself in lillies. I cringed as I put pressure on it and thankfully it came out. Not sure how the 0.13 hook length held but it did. A good tench of 4lb plus, simply lovely as Mike Martin used to say. I was buzzing.

The rest of the match was very quiet but I did add the odd small skim bob and rudd.

Ended up with 15lb 2oz in old money which was more than enough to take the section.


As you can see it fished hard, couple of photo's of my catch below.....



Back at the 37 Club I first spoke to Ben Matthews who informed me my weight would get me 3rd overall, Ben was going to be 2nd from Parchy Down with Steve Priddle winning it from end peg Parchy Down. Mike Berntsen was 4th from end peg Parchy Up.

Full results below coverted to Kg ..... very European down in Somerset!


I am booked in for Evesham on Wednesday to try and qualify for the final again and then back on the KSD Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, snap! I had 15lb 2oz on the Kenn for third, as well! Would have sneaked the win until they started catching bream downstream in the last hour...

    ReplyDelete