Monday 24 May 2021

Sunday 23rd May - Gloucester Canal Spring League Round 3

 Back to the Glossy again for Round 3. As usual the draw was done remotely on the Saturday evening and the results came through to me around 7 p.m. Another poor set of pegs except Chris was on an end peg Castle Up due to one team dropping out. Sam was 2 pegs away from where he was before at Slimbridge Up, Leigh was in the Woods at Hempstead and I was at Sims, bang smack in the middle, not good. The only good thing was we all had an empty peg to our right.


ANGLER NAME


SEC.


DRAW (INC LENGTH)


WEIGHT & PTS

IVAN CURRIE

B2

S 22


CHRIS HOOK

C1

384


SAM JOHNSON

D2

725


LEIGH WAKEFIELD

A1

M 15



We met up in McD's at Cribbs Causeway in Bristol for breakfast, it was nice to sit in for a change. We all knew where we were going and apart fro concerns about our draw we also knew the weather would be a right b"tard as gales and heavy rain was forecast from around 14:00. In terms of our position in the League it was game over and today was about saving face, getting our heads down and restoring some pride.

Chris was in the bay at Castle Up but it had not produces for ages but it did have form. Sam's section at Slimbridge Up was a fore gone conclusion in that the end peg toward Gloucester would win it. Leigh's up in the Woods .... well he was at the wrong end. Mine at Sims bang smack in the middle did not have form and it has not been pegged this year. The end pegs nearest Rea Bridge usually win the section.

We headed up the M5 as positive as you can be given what I have already said. I got to Rea Bridge at 08:30 and parked up OK even though half the Car Park is taken up with Contractors equipment.

The weather was quite nice at this point and it was good to catch up with a couple of guys who were pretty positive about the section .... can't understand why!

It was a nice easy walk and the peg did scream bream, in fact quite a few of them did but they hardly show heart for some reason. it is a narrow part of the canal and not quite top 5 deep in the middle.






I set up 2 feeder rods for across left and right, one for bread the other for fishmeal etc, 1 short 6 metre rig and 1 for 11 metres out. Nothing more complicated than that.

To my left was Simon Hebditch, it was nice to see him again, smashing guy and excellent match organiser, Simon appeared to have the same set up.

Started off on the bread feeder and after several casts not an indication, I gave it 40 minutes, nothing happened! No one seemed to be catching although Simon swung in a small perch caught short and I applauded him. I think he was a bit nervous and remarked he should have netted it to be safe. I  had a look on the fishmeal line and again after 20 minutes not an indication.

Had a look on the short pole line as I saw a guy to my right swing in a fish, not a big one. After 10 minutes the 1.5 gram float went under and I swung in a small perch so off the mark. After we had the draw on Saturday evening Sam sent me some historical weigh sheets from this section and 4 oz came off my peg!

15 minutes gone and no more bites on this line.

Went out long and soon had another perch, must have been 4 oz but because of the depth my no. 6 elastic came out quite a bit and Simon thought I had a decent fish, I netted it anyway.
I was getting indications, little dips of the float but not going under. I put the smallest pinkie I could find and scaled down to a 20 hook. Bingo, float goes under and its a small hand sized skim bob.
I can't remember for the life of me how things went after that but applying the same as before I caught an eel, a blade roach and 3 more small perch.
I did take a look now and then on the feeder but nothing. Small fish were topping every now and then right the way across so I put on a small maggot feeder to try and caught some but nothing!

No one was walking the bank but looking up and down every now and then I could tell most were struggling.

It absolutely hammered down and the wind got up for the second half of the match and I was not sorry when 16:00 came and the all out.


Here's my section board, I had mega points for 1lb 1oz !!!!!!

The section winner had one big bream and some bits. So no surprises and it fished as I expected.

Mean while Chris on the end peg at Castle Up snared a few, weighing just over 19lb giving him 6th place overall. Sam and Leigh also managed decent points to give us 11th place on the day out of 34 teams, we'll take that.

Full results as follows.....the draw is so important......




2021 DAIWA GORDON LEAGUE GLOUCESTER CANAL SPRING LEAGUE RESULTS ROUND 3


TEAM

WEIGHT

POINTS

1

DGL Black


64

2

Sensas Lobbys Red


62

3

Sensas Lobbys Green


58

4

Milo Bait Tech Midlands Black


54

5

Sensas Devizes


51

6

Team Hereford

45-6-0

49

7

DGL Gold

39-5-0

49

8

Sensas 88 A

20-4-0

49

9

Mix and Match


48

10

Preston Innovations Thatchers 


45

11

Sensas Nomads A


44

12

GBMV Gold


43

13

GBMV


42

14

Browing West Midlands Sphere

8-15-0

41

15

Browning West Midlands Xitan

18-5-0

41

16

Drennan Oxford

8-2-0

41

17

Sensas Lobbys Black


40

18

Sensas 88 B

12-6-0

39

19

Maver Harescombe

12-9-0

39

20

Glevum Old Boys

9-13-8

39

21

Sensas Smithies


38

22

DGL Red


37

23

Garbolino/Dynamite Baits Diddymen


34

24

Gowna Dreamers

10-1-8

33

25

Milo Bait Tech Midlands Red

6-1-8

33

26

Evolved Baits Midlands Match


32

27

DGL Blue


31

28

DGL Avon


30

29

Sonubaits Thatchers

6-10-0

29

30

Misfits

5-7-0

29

31

Burts Baits

6-3-0

25

32

Rive Fishermania

1-15-8

25

33

Browning Central

4-8-5

25

34

Nomads B


18

35

Woody’s Tackle


0



One more round to go in a couple of weeks but back on the Bristol Feeder Canal on Wednesday and Port Talbot Dock on Sunday, weather getting better.



No comments:

Post a Comment