Sunday 7 June 2020

Sunday 7th June - ''Knock Up'' match Gloucester Canal Slimbridge

Sensas Lobby's Andy Jane put a post out on Facebook asking if anyone was interested in a match on the Glossy at Slimbridge. I booked Chris Hook and myself in and then Leigh Wakefield showed an interest and managed to get the last place.

Due to having to manage the day with strict guidelines Andy initially limited it to 20 but increased it to 25.

I had never fished the Slimbridge section before so went up to have a dabble last Thursday. I wasn't sure where it was going to be pegged but headed downstream of the bridge past the boats and fished a swim which had a tree lined bank on the far side and some pads.
One other local angler was just setting up on arrival so went 3 pegs past him. I only took 2 Feeder rods and just set up one.

It was very slow and I didn't have a bite until 2 hours in. I was just feeding dead reds and dead pinkie in Fishmeal Ground Bait and swapped hook baits, dead maggot / pinkie and worm pieces.
After 2 hours they were lining up and I ended up with a mixed bag of big bream and skimmers for about 30lbs plus in the remaining 3 hours. Happy with that.

Come match day I was nice and early and first to park just over the bridge as instructed. Others were standing on the bridge so parked on the wrong side.
Andy the organiser was just behind me and after getting his gear out produced his home made weigh sling cradle which he made from an old camping table I believe, it looked OK.

Strict social distancing was fully observed and Andy made sure everyone was aware they needed to adhere to the guidelines otherwise they would be disqualified, no arguments.


The draw was also done by Andy for everyone and you had to go to your peg in turn with farthest away (peg 26) first (peg 1 wasn't in due to a boat).
Pay out was top 2 overall and then 5 section of 5, £40.

The pegs where the Gloucester side of the bridge and not downstream where I had practiced.

I was drawn peg 16 which was bang smack in the middle, a certain Mark Downes was next to me on peg 15 and Warren Bates the other side on 17.

Off we trundled in order. Warren was in front of me and part the way along one of his 4 trolley wheels came off and he went the rest of the way on 3.

Some of the early pegs had boats moored opposite and I didn't fancy those. Looking up the bank I could see a tree line on the far side and knew my peg would be in that area.


Kev Forty the Canal and River Trust Bailiff had done a great job strimming the pegs.

2 Feeder Rods were quickly sorted one with a B560 16 and the other had a B560 14 in case I went in to bagging mode!
I just set up the one pole rig which was top 4 deep at 11 metres, 3 gram with a 18 to 0.12.
Fishmeal deads etc for the Feeder and a mix of Lake and Molehill soil with dead pinkies and dead reds.

Mark Downes shouted up what time do you make it, I said almost 09:30 then a few minutes later he shouts up again .... has anyone shouted the all in yet ...... lol ..... I said its a 10:00 start. He then says do you think its OK to leave my peg to get water from my car. Crack on I said.

At 10:00 I fed 3 balls on the pole line left and right and went out on the tip just before the pads where it was about 6 / 7 foot.

No indications for the first 40 minutes and then a couple of minor knocks. Bright canoes and paddle boards came up the canal going right over the feeder line. I wasn't that concerned as there was a bit of colour in the water. Mark D asked me every now and then if I had any bites etc. I do like to get my head down and concentrate.

After 1 hour 20 mins I went on the right hand pole line. Within 10 minutes the float sailed away and I knew it was bream on, sadly it didn't stay on. No more bites on that line so went to my left. The float soon buried again and it was an eel, a good one at that but it bit me off at the net. I re-fed the lines again and went on the tip.

Nothing was happening. At around 13:00 I rang Chris to see how he was getting on, he wasn't but as I was talking to hime the tip pulled slowly round and it was bream on. The phone ended up in the dead reds!
It wasn't big, about 2lbs plus but welcome.

Despite trying the pole line now and then I didn't have another bite over them.

13:50 saw another good pull round and it was bream number two, a better fish 4lb plus.

No more bites and it was match over.

Ben Rendall easily won the match from end peg 26 with 38lb plus.


Ben's catch today in Andy's home made cradle

Mark Brush managed 2nd overall with 13lb plus.

I just missed out on my section, the weigh sheets below show how hard it was. Some didn't have a bite.
Apparently the bream spawned in the section during the week




Andy ran a great match keeping everyone safe and within the guidelines. He is running another next week, hopefully up the Splat end near Frampton.

I'll be up there again in the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment