Thursday 25 June 2020

Wednesday 24th June - Bristol Avon, Staverton Open

Back to Staverton again for the afternoon / evening Open. Cadbury Angling owner Dan Hurley followed me to the venue for his first visit.

The weather was against us today with temperatures forecast in excess of 29 degrees. The venue offers some shade and I did get some when I picked up peg 46 and a possible chubber.

Three other team mates also in attendance today, Leigh Wakefield, Sam Johnson and one more who is under the witness protection programme so cannot be named although to be honest I think his cover is blown.

I had waggler supremo Gary Etheridge below me on 48 and Martin Barrett above me again on 49.

30 fishing today which in the 3rd season of fishing these Opens is a record I believe.

2 wanglers, a 2 grammer for the middle and a chopped worm line for down the inside by the lilies at 9 metres.

As expected small chublet's and bleak in the first hour before coming over on the pole line where I had only small, very small roach, unlike last week when they were netter's. The flow was slower and there was little colour.

I nicked a couple of 8oz perch on the choppy but even they were not having it.

Didn't hit a chub all match, Gary below me did but didn't land it which would have made all the difference as he would have won the match.

The Golden Peg is not opened until after the match and it just so happened that Leigh was on it but it was safe for another week.

Two 9lb weights took care of 1st and 2nd, Sam wasn't far off the pace with 7lb.

Rich Chave had the best of the 9lb weights to win and organiser Gerry 2nd of peg 75 one down from where I was last week.


Richard with his winning net


Never mind, back again next week and an Open on the KSD Sunday, 74 fishing!!!

On a positive note Kev Abigail was walking the bank today for a short period after his COVID-19 encounter so great progress and I wish him a speedy recovery.







No comments:

Post a Comment