Monday 17 October 2016

Sunday 16th October - Commercial House League Round 3 Bristol Avon, Swineford, Crane, Jack Whites and Fry's Sections

I seem to be spending a lot of time on the Bristol Avon at the moment but I do enjoy fishing it despite the ups and downs, highs and lows that the draw gives me. Up until the end of December I will be on it most weeks.
I missed the first two rounds of this league due to being on holiday and was looking forward to the third. A text from Captain Chris Hook in the week asked me to try and get another angler as we were one short. We do need more river and canal anglers in the team as we have struggled this year but where do we get them from... if anyone can help or if anyone is interested please let me know. Anyway a phone call to Clevedon Club stalwart Scott Smallwood soon had the gap filled, maybe he will come on board as he likes his natural venues. Full team was ... Chris, Sam, Lewis, Rob, Scott and myself.
With only a small amount of rain on the Saturday I knew it would not affect the colour of the river so could be hard going (again). Draw was done on time (08:30) so plenty of time to get to the pegs, with fishing 10:30 - 15:30. We did not have a great draw as a team.. peg 6. Chris and Lewis were at Swineford, Rob and I up the Crane, Sam at Jack Whites and Scott at Frys, we also had the scales.
My hike to C6 meant that I had to negotiate  two fences. It was OK as anglers gave each other a hand to lift the barrows over in one.
When I got to C6 I found I was up on a high bank again but the flow was at 13 meters so not too bad. An overhanging branch directly above me was just enough to stop my top 5 hitting it. Lots of line was hanging from the branch so another angler must have had a frustrating day.
Set up was very simple, 3 gram float on the pole as the flow was quite pacey, crowquill set up on the running line and a tip rod.


There was quite a bite of activity on the boat opposite as well as a young child shouting hello to me out of a window most of the day. More boats were moored either side of the one opposite, there is a whole community living on the river now and it appears to be increasing year on year.
At the start 10 Balls laced with hemp and caster went in at 13 meters and 4 down the middle. Beginning on the pole at 13 meters the float was just right for the pace of the river and I had a bite straight away and carefully swung a small chublet to hand watching the overhanging branch above me. I had a run of roach then for a while around 2oz to 3oz and then the light changed making it difficult to see the yellow topped float. A red pole top sleeve was put on which helped for a while but the light changed again and I was fishing blind again. 
I had a few runs through with the crowquill and had a few better roach towards the end of the trott before the bites dried up.
The sun had moved around a bit allowing me to come back on the pole and I added a few more roach, netters this time along with the odd perch. 
The second half of the match was a real struggle, the wind prevented me from fishing the crowquill properly and the persistent ever changing light conditions was a night mare. I did try the odd chuck with the tip across to the boat but not an indication at all.
I did do better than I thought I had and the peg was definitely worth a lot more on a duller and overcast day.

Here are the weights in my Section (A and B division).


So for the second week in a row I was ounces away from better points in my division!

The walk back was not good as I was last to pack up after doing the weigh in and had to break down the gear to get over the two styles.
Back at the results Sam had won his Section and Scott was second, the rest of us not good.

I had to rush off as my daughter was going back to London but here is a link to Tim Fords blog which gives his view of the match and results.......


http://cluckerspeg.blogspot.co.uk

Back on the same Section on Sunday fishing for Cardiff Nomads in the Winter League, pleasure fishing the River Kenn in the week.








No comments:

Post a Comment