Monday 19 December 2022

Sunday 18th December - Clevedon Freshwater Angling Club Christmas Match River Kenn

I fished the Kenn on the Thursday prior to the match with Matt Davis when it was -5 degrees and frozen over. After breaking the ice and the tide had turned we both managed double figures of roach each.

The weather for this match was much better with only an overnight ground frost and temperatures during the day forecast to be around plus 5 degrees. Strong winds and rain was also forecast.

I think the weather put some anglers off as we had 36 originally booked in but 9 cancelled. Can't blame them really as the weather coupled with standing or sitting in the mud is not the best advert. 

The Kenn in winter can be feast or famine, there's not much in-between but I love it.

We met at Angelina's Restaurant in Warrens Village for breakfast and the all important draw.

Match Secretary Rob Fogg had pegged from the Car Park just below Kenn Road down to peg 22 below Strode Road bridge. 

Rob was paying top 4 plus 5 sections and of course it being a Christmas Match everyone would get a prize. Scott Smallwood was also running a raffle.

Fishing was 1015 - 1515.


Breakfast at Angelina's we would also have the results etc in the adjoining club

Rob commenced the draw wearing his Christmas Jumper and tinsel covered bucket at 09:00 sharp. I was about halfway in the queue and finally dipped my hand into the bucket of doom. I had been to a carol service the evening before so I hoped the man above would reward me with a decent draw!

I was reasonably happy when I opened the peg card to see number 38, not one you would run to but not bad either. I fancied pegs 33 to 37 would be hard to beat.

It was a very short drive to the river along with a short walk. I had all my gear with me but left the pole in the van as I was going to get down in the mud (the level of the river is dropped by nearly 50% during the winter).

You need to go prepared for winter fishing on the Kenn i.e. lined waders or chest waders, a bait waiter, some bank sticks for rod rests and basin and hoop to store items of tackle. I wear chest waders and a gor tex jacket. I have also have adapted my storm shield tray with lid to take 2 broom handles so I can stand it up in the water and keep bait etc dry.

It was a simple set up take wise today ...... 2 waggler rods and a maggot feeder rod.

Both waggler rods had 2.5 AA floats on them, 18 B611 hooks to 0.11 hook length, it's best to gear up in case big perch and tench show up. One was set to fish the far shelf where it was about 2.5 foot deep the other for down the middle where it was just over 3 foot.

Loose feed only today, red maggot and some bronze for the hook.

There was still a fair bit of ice in the margins and ice coming down the middle of the river.

Scott Smallwood was above me on 39 and the angler on 37 below was a newish member. These pegs are quite tight together. Scott was down in the water like me but the angler on 37 below me was a bit high off the bank so I guessed he wouldn't fish the peg as hard as I would.

On the all in I put in a pouch full of red maggot across and another pouch down the middle.

Second run through across the float dipped and it was roach on, a tidy stamp fish but for some reason it came off just before the net. I glanced up and Scott was in on the waggler as well.

Back out again and this time success landing a 4 oz fish. I was aware high tide was around 13:45 so the river would back up around 13:00, it was important to catch well before this.

Feeding is always key on the Kenn in winter and you really need to discipline yourself and get in a rhythm otherwise the fish will move away.

I had a few more stamp roach and felt it was going well, feeding regularly and swapping lines kept the fish coming but the size of the roach got smaller. A couple of grebes diving in my swim might have spooked the better fish. I could see Scott getting regular fish as well swapping between the wag and long whip.

About and hour and a half into the match I was surprised to see Kev Perry behind me. Kev was down on the most comfortable peg on the river, 36A. He said he had cramp and asked if I was catching. I told him I had around 30 roach but most were on the small side. Kev said he hadn't that many and off he went.

I carried on working the peg on both lines. Best results were by using bronze maggot on the hook, single and double.

Just over halfway through Paul Nichols came behind me. Paul had packed up and said he hadn't had a bite up in the 40's which was the same for others.

About 14:00 the wind got stronger as did the rain, Scott shouted down "I want to go home" lol, I was quite comfy.

Cracking on working the peg I was getting fish regularly but mainly fish in the ounce to 2 oz range. I would get the odd stamp roach but they were few and far between.

At the end Simon Carvallo came up with the scales and started off with weighing Scott.

Scott had done well putting just over 12lb in the net.


Scott

I was next to weigh and knew I didn't have as much as Scott. My catch went 9lb 12oz. Simon said I'd be well up with that as below Strode Rd has struggled as had the Car Park section.


Me

I walked down to see the angler on 37 weigh 15oz and then watch Kev weigh in just over 14lbs on 36A.


Kev

Kev said he had heard Glenn Calvert had a good bag on peg 40 so I walked up and weighed him in as he had the scales.


Glenn's net went just over 16lb

Back to Angelina's for the results and raffle it soon became clear that some sections had fished hard especially the Car Park at Kenn Rd and the section below Strode.

Rob got the results under way starting with the sections .....

A Section pegs 20 - 25..... They all blanked so the sections was decided on a lucky dip draw which went to Mark Bartlett

B Section pegs 29 - 34 ..... Simon Carvallo 2lb 9oz peg 33

C Section pegs 35 - 39 ....... Lee Smallwood quadrupled default 1lb 15oz peg 36

D Section pegs 40 - 44 ....... Andy Devereux 2lb 1oz (default)

E Section pegs 49 - 55 ........ Jeremy Salisbury 0.0.1 dram !!!!

Top 4 .....

1st Glenn Calvert 16lb 9oz (Team Sensas 88)

2nd Kev Perry 14lb 6oz (Team Sensas 88)

3rd Scott Smallwood 12lb 9oz (Garbolino CFWAC)

4th Ivan Currie 9lb 12oz (Team Sensas Nomads)

Some nice prizes for everyone which made it a great day.

The raffle was also good with prizes donated from Cadbury Angling and Reel Fun Fishing tackle shops.





Next match for me is the Roy Carter Memorial on the Gloucester Canal 28th December.

Have a good Christmas everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment