Monday 11 July 2022

Sunday 10th July - Clevedon Club Match, River Kenn

 I had been up at Evesham on the Wednesday before this match but after drawing peg 29 it was pretty uneventful. 

29 is a very shallow peg with cabbages going out a fair distance on the far as well as the near bank. Only sprat chub on the waggler across but I did catch some hemp roach down the middle but the pike attacks soon scuppered that line.

My section was won with 4lb plus, I weighed just under 3lbs and could have done a lot more if the pike hadn't took an interest.

Today I stayed local fishing my Club Match on our local River Kenn. We had a Committee Meeting on the Thursday evening and there was 8 booked in at this point. To my surprise Rob Fogg our new Match Secretary text me on the Saturday saying he had now got 16 which is a great turnout for a Club Match on the Kenn.

We were going to fish from peg 1 down by the Sea Wall to Strode Rd Bridge peg 32. 

I saw Rob over at Cadbury Angling on the Saturday, he had just walked the bank and showed me photo's of a huge shoal of bream just under the surface around pegs 3, 4 and 5. This would be the place to draw then although with high temperatures they were unlikely to feed in any numbers.

We met at Strode Rd bridge for the draw, I had unloaded the van in order to walk to any peg downstream as there is a flat walk along the Environment Agency road.

We had a few new participants today which is brilliant. Our Club Matches are just a bit of fun and the money is very well shared out.

Into the draw bucket and I pulled out peg 18 so quite a bit away from the bream shoal.

All the pegs look good to be honest and with an average depth down the middle of 7 foot and 5 foot a few metres out there are plenty of options.

17 was free below me and John Sallis was upstream on peg 19.

Looking at the conditions I decided to set up a waggler for this side of the far shelf, the pole at 14 metres with a 1 gram float and a similar rig at 11 metres.

I feed neat worm on the 11 metre line, Sensas Black Lake and Gros Gardons Noire with caster and pinkie at 14.

Starting on the waggler feeding red maggot I had a small hybrid 4th cast at full depth (about 5 foot). We are seeing a lot of small roach, hybrids and skimmers in the river this year which is great for the future.

A few more bites on the waggler were missed but then I hooked the one of the culprits, a small skim bob, lovely little fish. 

The Kenn was just about moving helped by a light downstream breeze but 30 minutes or so into the match it changed to an upstream and with little flow wasn't great for the waggler.

I had a look on the 11 metre line with a worm head and the float buried straight away, a skimmer followed by a small perch then it went quiet so refed a little more worm.

Onto the 14 metre line and not a sniff of a bite after 15 minutes, tried the waggler again and picked up a couple of roach.

I kept swapping lines picking up a fish every now and then.

Mark Bromsgrove came up for a walk which is unusual for him and sat with me for a while. I was on the waggler down the middle after adjusting it to about 1 foot off bottom. I missed a couple of bites but had another few skimmers.

Word on the bank was a few bream had been caught near the Sea Wall.

We finished at 15:00 which was just as well due to the heat.

Rob came past me to start weighing our B Section.

When he came to me the best in our Section was 3lb 4oz, I weighed 2lb 14oz.


I followed the scales upstream, Club Chairman and Trustee Steve Bonwick was on bend peg 22, a lovely peg with a big willow on the inside. When Steve pulled his net out we were surprised to see a huge bream which he caught on the whip !!!!!
Steve weighed 10lb 15oz, that bream must have been almost 9lbs, this got him 2nd place.


Steve with his big bream.


Club Tustee Scott Smallwood had 2 big bream from peg 2 in the last 30 minutes to win the match with 15lb 14oz.


Scott.

Here is a little video of Scott playing and landing one of them.......




Third was newcomer Patrick Danelski with a single bream for 7lb 14oz.


Patrick.

Nigel Wyatt was 4th with 3lb 9oz which included a 2lb hybrid caught on corn.

So a good turnout with big fish dominating. Had conditions been more favourable those small skimmers and hybrids would have made a difference.

Not sure what I am doing Wednesday yet but guesting for Devizes Match Group in the Super League on the Glossy next Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment