Monday 12 October 2020

Sunday 11th October - Bristol Commercial House League Round 4, Bristol Avon Rotork and Newbridge

 Round 3 on the KSD saw us crash big time so today we were looking to recover some points.

The heavy rain the previous weekend and the early part of the week suggested it would be a bream match, of course not for everyone but a few decent weights were predicted.

I tried to get some information on the pegging but this was not available until the morning of the match. It turned out one section on Rotork was on Rotork and the rest above and below Newbridge so there would be a long walk for those drawing E and F sections.

Normally the Trees down by the Rugby Club are in but Network Rail are working down there so it is all closed off.

I drew peg A4 at Rotork and have not fished this area for about 25 years. As far as I am aware Rotork is free fishing. Given that its free what do you do if there is someone in your peg when you arrive? From what I saw there are not that many pegs and to be honest the ones that I saw are high off the bank and narrow. There are a few that you can get down into the water but they are steep, given the average river anglers age these days who's going to take the risk.

The good thing about Rotork is that you can park close to your peg so its not all negative.

Shane Caswell who was on A3 suggested mine was a better peg as was team mate Mike's on A5 who was fishing for the Hospital Team today.

When I saw my peg I was not that overjoyed with it tbh, I was way up off the water and when I put my 4 metre keepnet in there were only 3 rings in the water!


The river looked spot on and there were only a couple of options, feeder and bolo. I did set up two feeder rods one with a 3oz tip for the middle and the other with a 2 oz tip for 1/4 the way out, a 4 gram bolo would be run over the same line.

No messing about today, 4 balls of gardons and leam for the inside and 6 of magic and river for down the middle ''splodoush''.



The first 20 minutes were uneventful on the bolo, not a bite. I put an extra couple of inches on the depth and held in back as best I could, when I was able to do this the float sailed away and for about 30 minutes I put some roach and chublets in the net. I did miss quite a few bites due to having to strike awkwardly because of an overhanging branch and the amount of line between the rod tip and the water because I was so high up on the bank, shy biting dace were also culprits.

I made an exploring cast with the feeder and to my surprise nailed a small bream first cast on a full dendra and 2 maggots.

Shane came down the bank from the peg above after 90 minutes and asked how I was getting on I told him what I had, he said he was really struggling.

After he went back I saw a big bream roll right across so I stuck with the feeder for 2 hours only getting a single perch, no other bites.

Vince Lunn and Andy Britt also came up for a walk to see what was going on as they were really struggling.

I chopped and changed between the both feeders and the bolo the rest of the match getting a few more roach but they were very small.

I weighed 5lb 9oz for 2nd in my A Div section just being pipped to first place by a pound.

Shane Caswell above me pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the final 35 minutes catching 2 big bream and a big chub on the feeder in consecutive casts for 15lb 9oz.


Shane Caswell aka Dynamo

I did the board when Vince weighed in Shane. On it there is a section to record big fish. I knew one of Shane's fish was being weighed separately and though it was the chub. I recorded 6lb 3oz and wrote chub next to it. Well .....back at the results he got asked so many questions about that huge chub lol and we kept it going for a while, I even said he caught it on a black slug .... 

Up on peg A1 Derek Coles had a good day on the bolo catching over 20lb of roach, dace and chublets.

5 of our team ended up with 2 points each and 1 had 1 point. I knew we would finish 2nd on the day in A Div which we did clawing back quite a few points which now leaves us 3 point to catch up in order to achieve 2nd place in the league.

As predicted there were a couple of big bream weights.

Paul Issacs took over 60lbs from peg 59 and not far behind was Lee Warden with 49lbs from peg 46.

3rd Derek Coles with 20lb 10oz
4th Shane Caswell 15lbs 14oz
5th Clive Branson 15lb 2oz
6th Graham Hunt 13lb 8oz

Back on the Kenn this Wednesday trying to help someone catch fish on this moody river then the Frome AA Open on Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment