Friday 22 May 2020

Wednesday 20th May - 1st Session Chew Valley Lake

Bristol Water opened up their waters the previous Friday. They changed the booking process a few days later to make it easier and simplify the process. It was bank fishing only, which I prefer anyway so booked a ticket for the Wednesday.

I was up early and on Lodge Bank by about 07:15. It was really misty and you couldn't see more than 50 meters out. Only two other anglers who arrived the same time as me.

I still had a few trout in the freezer so opted for barbless hooks and fish catch and release. A buzzer on the point and two Dawl Bachs as droppers, all size 12 hooks.


It took about 20 minutes to get my first fish which was a nice rainbow who took a red Dawl Bach a few meters from the bank. At around 2lbs he went back quickly.

Three more fish followed over the next 90 minutes, all went back.

The sun came out and it became harder. A few more anglers had arrived and there were now 6 of us. At approximately 10:45 I hit a really good fish and it too a while to land it. It measured 22 inches and must have been about 4lbs.


I kept this one as I wanted a whole fish for the BBQ.

Two more pulls and another fish smashed me up so I called it a day at 12:00.

Lovely session and my right arm was aching after that fist session.

Going up the Glossy again on Sunday for the bream.


No comments:

Post a Comment