Wednesday 30 October 2019

Wednesday 30th October -Chew Valley Lake Fly Fishing

I intended  to fish for roach on my local river Kenn as I had loads of left over bait, another option was to fish the Avon at Swineford.
But...to get to the Avon I would have to que in Bristol traffic and as for the Kenn the wind was stronger than forecast so.....a session on Chew it was.

A bank ticket in the winter is only £18 and you can take 6 fish plus catch and release.

I got up to the Lodge around 1015 and the wind looked OK in order to fish the Lodge bank but after getting my ticket it had increased and was blowing north to south, bit chilly as well.

In the interests of comfort I headed around to the North Bank were the wind would be off my back.

I already had the rod set up with 2 red dawl bachs and 1 green.

4 other anglers were on the bank plus a couple of boats in the vicinity.

I decided to settle in nearest the car park with an angler 30 yards to my left and only reeds to my right. I waded out up to my waist.



Casting was easy with the wind off my back and 4th cast I had a take and the others looked at me in astonishment lol.

After I netted it and put it in the bag two came down to me and asked what I caught it on as no one else had a pull.
I freely showed them my set up and off they went to change their flies.

I waded back out and had another...one guy shouted down and asked if I came here often. I said no I am a match angler.

The guy nearest to me then had one on a red dawl bach.

I had another 3 fish but put one back as it was only around 1lb.

At 3 o'clock I called it a day as it was getting colder.



Quite a nice few hours.

Open match on Sunday....Bristol Avon Swineford to Jack Whites.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Ivan, you can't beat a nice spot of fly fishing ..no messing around with maggots and groundbait lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I do enjoy a bit of fluff chucking

    ReplyDelete