Monday 8 October 2018

Sunday 7th October - Upper Thames Winter League Round 1, Upper Thames Radcot / Lechlade

A different league for us this year along with some new venues as well. Its called the UTWL but only has one match on the Thames, the remainder are on the Upper Bristol Avon and middle reaches of the Kennet and Avon Canal.
I have only fished the Thames once before and that was back in early September but I have been keeping an eye on the results and methods used by some of the regulars. Basically its a roach and perch match with perch providing ''the bonus fish'' if your lucky.
I was up and about early, 05:00 and set off to drive the 70 miles across 6 counties to get to the Swan Inn on the river at Radcot. The temperature was 2 degrees and the windscreen had to be scraped for the first time. I arrive about 07:15 well in time for the 08:00 draw.

Team today was....
Mike Martin-Davies (c)
Mark Williams
Rich Whitmarsh
Mike Whithey
Brian Melksham
Steve Saunders
Brian Melksham
Me

My Team Nomads also had 2 Teams out on the Wye for the ABC League, so 24 of us out on the bank today!

The pegs today where from Lechlade to just downstream of Radcot. Mike came back with the draw and I found myself on Radcot Up which I could walk to from the draw. I had F8 which was the end peg just below the Marina mouth.
It didn't take long to get there and I managed not to get killed going over the small humpback bridge on the road then down some steps, through 2 gates (no need to break the kit down either) and across to the river.

On arriving at my peg it was quite narrow compared to the ones upstream of me but a fe fish were topping and some bubbles on the inside line.


All the boats opposite were devoid of life so I hoped they would stay that way.

Thatchers Martin Barrett was above me on the Marina Mouth and was making a few calls to get info on his peg. He came down and said my peg won the Thames Champs (thats fooked it then), he can't half chat.

Plumping up I found the best line was at around 11 to 12 metres without much weed but the depth was a bit uneven. In the end I settled on about 7 foot with a longish line as it was very clear. Shaun Bryan gave me some advice the last time I was up here concerning a couple of rigs so I set up a 2 gram with the olivetti about 2 foot from the hook and a single number 8 below this. A Tubertini 19 to 0.09 was at the business end. I also set up a 1.5 gram with a similar shooting pattern plus 1 gram strung out rig 5 foot deep for the same line. Finally a choppy rig at 5 metres with a 16 hook to 0.11.
Ground bait was 50 / 50 Sensas Noire and Gros Garden.

Due to the clear conditions and the frost I cupped in 6 balls at the start laced with dead pinkie, hemp and caster and a big pot of chopped worm on the inside.

Starting on the 1 gram rig I was getting indications but only from small fish and the maggot came back stretched every time. I persevered with it but after 15 minutes swapped over to the 2 gram rig with double caster. Much better and holding back caught a few stamp roach. Lovely fish and unmarked. I was feeding hemp over the top and they started to respond well. the first hour was pretty good but then started to tail off a little so I put another small ball in and came in on the choppy line.
The float sailed away immediately and a good perch was netted. 4 more smaller ones followed on the bounce and then nothing so refed more worm before going back out down the middle.
The roach had come back and more tidy ones were netted. Double caster was the best bait and also got me a good perch of around a pound but I bumped a few as well. (lesson for next time ....  set up a worm rig for the middle).

Just as I was putting a few fish together a couple arrived in their car on the opposite bank and proceeded to work on the white boat to my left, just where I was catching. They pumped the blidge out 3 times and were walking up and down the outside cleaning and doing maintenance. Needless to say on a bright day and clear river the fish backed off. It was hard going from this point and it wasn't until the last 30 minutes or so that I got them back although I did nick a few more perch from the inside. Given the stamp of fish I was catching before they arrived I am almost sure my with would have been double what I weighed.


I finished up with 8lb 14oz which was worth 4 points from 8

Heres how the Section looked.....


Arriving back at the Pub i met up with the other guys, very mixed results but ......  Mark Williams had a good second half in the match catching 14lb 3oz on the 3.5 metre whip only 2oz off the winning weight.


Mark with his bag. I have digitally enhanced him but can't quite get rid of the ''peaky blinders'' look


This was Marks peg... Mr. Crabtree???

Results as follows:

Individuals....
1st     Rob Randall GBV 15lb 5oz
2nd    Mark Williams Sensas Nomads & Alan Jones DGL 15lb 3oz
4th     Kevin Bennet GBV 13lb 5oz
5th     Mark Gaylard Sensas Lobbys 13lb 1oz
6th     Martin Barrett PI Thatchers 11lb 15oz

Teams....
1st      GBV
2nd     PI Thatchers
3rd      DGL
4th      Sensas Lobbys
5th      Devizes MG
6th      Matrix Talisman
7th      Sensas Nomads
8th      Wyvern Anglers

I did enjoy the day and would love to fish the venue more often. Next week is the 2nd Round of the Commercial House which is at Newbridge.... oh dear!






No comments:

Post a Comment