Friday 7 August 2015

Sunday 2nd August SW Super League Match 4 Gloucester Canal

I have had no time at all this week up until now to update my blog concerning the above match.
This would be my third visit to the Canal in as many weeks and I have done OK in the two previous ones. One change to the team line up this time though due to Glen Calvert fishing Tony Rixons Float Only League and doing quite well was replaced by Bristol Angling Centres rent boy Lewis Walker.
The draw for this match was the Whitminster Hotel on the A38 near the Stroud junction on the M5.
Although the Hotel was open, breakfast was by way of a Chuck Waggon mugging anglers for £4 for a bacon or sausage roll. My £1.89 bacon bagget from Budgens was much better in all respects.
Sections today were at Saul Junction and Purton.
Purton was to be the area to draw near the timber ponds but a match in the week saw bream and skimmers come from around Saul Junction which is were the old Stroud Canal joins the Gloucester.

The draw was a little late due to one of the organisers being misinformed about the time. No worries though as both area's were not that far away. There were other anglers fishing today in made up teams practising for the National but they did not get any points just cash as if it was an open so 80 plus along the bank. Will Raison and Des Shipp were in attendance again.

Captain Chris Hook came back with our pegs and I was at Saul Junction along with Sean and Lewis.
Will and Des were down at Purton and word was Will had drawn the flier!

Saul Junction is a bit busy

My peg was 458 and as I trundled up the towpath I passed Lewis who was just on the edge of a wide bay, the bay took about 10 pegs and then it narrowed again by some barges and I guessed that's were I would end up. Low weights had come from were I was heading during the week.
458 was on the upstream end of the bay and it did narrow.

Peg 458

It did not look too bad but the water was very very clear and you can see the nearside margin weed and the weed along the far side so not able to fish the feeder tight across.
3 set ups today, the feeder a top 5 at 11 meters and a top 4 at 8 meters. There were some small fish topping so at least there was a bit of life around. Talking about life, there was a rave going on at 10:00 when we got there and Diawa Gordon Leagues Mark Treasure was right opposite them, later on in the match he was to be treated by some females skinny dipping!
Just before the all in at 11:00 a girl came past on a bike wobbling all over the place and apologised for being pissed!
I had 3 bites straight away on the feeder and hit two of them for skimmers around the 12oz mark and then it died so came in on the pole at 8 meters and just on the edge of the weed were I had a few blades before latching into a pike or zander after it took a blade but it let got after a short tug of war.
I did have a few small fish as well on the longer line but nothing to write home about. Bank walkers reported anglers were generally struggling and some blanking. I just kept my head down and added the odd small fish now and then. A short spell on the feeder saw me take a roach and bump a skimmer half way across.
My Section was won with just over 10lb which was caught from the bay downstream made up of a few decent skimmers and roach. I ended u with 2lb 11oz which was fairly well down the section.
Will Raison managed the pressure on his flyer peg and won the match with just over 27lb, Dave Micklewright Diawa Gordon League was second with 11lb and Lee Trivett who was pegged next to Will had 9lb for 3rd. 
We finished 3rd on the day so a good result for us.
Next match is at Newbridge Sunday 18th, there is a practice this week but I am going to fish a Club Match on our own water at Acorn due the Bristol Balloon Fiesta being on and the roads surrounding will be car parks.




No comments:

Post a Comment