Thursday 11 February 2021

Wednesday 10th February - River Kenn

 Back to the Kenn again and my 10th visit this year. I have to say I am really lucky having this venue on my doorstep allowing me to continue to enjoy fishing and the outdoors within the guidelines.

The overnight temperatures had dropped to around -4 so it was not an early start. When I started the van up at 09:15 it was registering -2. The wind chill factor made it feel colder but I loaded up anyway and headed over to Clevedon. 

After parking up I walked the bank a bit just to have a look. The river looked spot on but it was freezing and after having a telephone conversation about Team Nomads business I went back to the van undecided whether to fish or not, I was a bit like this last Sunday.

Chris Ford had turned up and already unloaded his car. He took one look at me and said "you don't look as if you've got it in you today Ivan". I said your right, not sure. He then said he had 5 big bream on Monday down below Strode Rd and that made my mind up to fish. If Chris isn't fishing the river he's walking it and a good source of up to date information.

Chris headed down to peg 22 and I said I would see him down there. I settled in on peg 19 out in the mud. 

It was still cold but the peg was out of the wind a bit so set up the waggler as well as the feeder rod with a straight lead set up. Some hybrids had come out a few pegs below last Sunday so was hoping for some of them. Just using maggot today with worm as another option.

As waggler is my preferred option on the river this is how I started off. Less than 3 foot deep and an uneven bottom, I put the rod back up the bank after an hour without a bite. I usually give it longer than this but felt it wasn't right today.

Out went the straight lead (20grm) with a 60 cm hook length, size 16 hook to 0.13. I kept feeding little and often as if I was fishing the float. Still a fair bit of light weed coming down the river and had to be cleaned off every time.

Another hour and a half passed without an indication. Tony Derrick came down to see how I was getting on along with Chris who hadn't had a bite either. Chatting away passing the time of day about all things fishing I had a proper knock on the tip which they both saw, I waited for the second one and then hit it. 

Rod bent over and Chris said "there we are then, I had them late on Monday".

I thought it was a bream at first but soon realised it was a nice hybrid, it certainly didn't want to give up.

So blank avoided and was looking forward to a few more .... it didn't happen despite giving it until 15:45.

I walked up to Chris who was still without a bite despite having 2 feeder rods out.

Thanks to Chris for taking the photo below, he was going to give it another hour.


Didn't hear from Chris so I assume he didn't catch. Given the conditions I am not surprised. It looks a bit warmer at the weekend so watch this space.




No comments:

Post a Comment