Wednesday 17 February 2021

Monday 15th February - River Kenn & Tuesday 16th February - Mikes Funeral

I didn't fish Sunday as it was blowing an absolute hooley. I didn't mind really as the forecast for Monday was OK although the tides this week aren't great to get a full days fishing in but Monday was the best day to go. High tide was 08:40 so it would not turn until about 12:00.

I was thinking about a day on the tip down the bottom end but on arrival at 10:45 it looked to good for staring at a tip and decided to go on peg 35 to fish the waggler.

I set up in the mud as usual and was ready to cast at around 11:30. At 11:50 the tide turned and I set about the continuous trotting and feeding that is required to try and draw fish into the peg.

Chris Ford came up the bank for a walk, he wasn't fishing today and while he was there I bumped a good fish right at the end of the trot. 

30 Minutes passed and no more bites while he was there. Chris went off and said he'd come back later on to see how I got on. Not long afterwards I had a good perch way down the swim. 

Kev Perry then arrived for a chat, he was off work this week but not fishing today. While Kev was there I had a decent hybrid.

I was feeding caster with the odd reg maggot with maggot on the hook. Kev went off after a short while.

Bites were hard to come by which surprised me as it was pretty mild but perhaps the water was still too cold.

Anyway I had 3 more bites, a small roach, a decent perch and another big hybrid.

 


A decent net of quality fish again and I was more than happy with it.

As I was packing up around 16:00 specimen angler Chris Burton came down and fished peg 37 with bread on the tip, he had a 4lb plus tench more or less straight away.

On the Tuesday I attended my friend Mike Martin - Davis funeral just outside Newport. Only 20 were allowed inside and a few outside. I was privileged to be asked to attend and speak at Mike's ceremony, Clive Branson also done a tribute to Mike.

Quite a few of the Team Nomad guys were there, Nige Evans, Rich Candy, Clive Roberts, Martin Challenger, James Smitherson and David Healy. Mike's coffin had his team colours and cap on it.





When I spoke I talked briefly of when I met Mike and our friendship, I then read the following poem which I wrote a few days after his passing.......

Intelligent and witty

in so many ways

to tell his life story

would take several days


A man of steel

a man of vision

whatever he did 

it was with precision


He touched many people

in all walks of life

quick to help those

who had trouble and strife


When he retired

he had a bit more time

travelling the country

wetting a line


He loved the mighty rivers

and in between canal locks

but never ever ever

suggest Port Talbot Docks


Mike bought a lot of tackle

getting some abuse

but he knew what he was doing

and put it to good use


Three times Tidefest Champion 

he was talk of the land

a competition he made his own

picking up a couple of grand


Taken too soon

and we are shedding a tear

but think of St. Peter

because he’s bending his ear


So …rest in peace

my “Celtic Cousin”

up in heaven

catching fish by the dozen


The ceremony was very moving with recorded guitar music played by Mike himself and a brilliant photo gallery of Mike with his family and of course fishing shots. He was a very good guitarist.


Team Sensas Nomads will miss him a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment