Monday 22 February 2021

Sunday 21st February - River Kenn

 Another day on the Kenn which I always look forward to although as I write this post (Monday 22nd) I see there is a good chance for outdoor sports including match fishing to open up non 29th March, happy with that to be honest and hopefully associated travel restrictions will also be eased.

I did fish the Kenn the previous Wednesday for a short afternoon session, peg 22 but only had one little roach but the weather conditions were not great and the river was dirty. Still I didn't blank!

High tide today was 13:00 so I planned an early start and got to the river, peg 35 at around 07:30. It was still a little pacy so in addition to my usual waggler and feeder rods I set up a 6bb crowquill avon. 

Out in the mud I went with the keepnet which also serves as a rod rest, a large bait bowl with odds and ends in it plus maggot on a stand and a back rod rest.


In the summer you would be sitting up on the grass bank here.

Even though the flow was a little fast I could not resist giving the waggler a go. I moved my 2 x No.8 bulk shot further down so it was about 2 foot from the hook then had a single 8 below and then 2 No. 10 spaced out. I started fishing 6 inches over depth holding it back as it went through. I never picked up any of the other rods all day.

I believe I have got the approach to the Kenn spot on this winter, its all about the presentation and feeding, picking the right peg also helps.

I had a bite after about 30 minutes and bumped the fish, didn't feel that big. Within 15 minutes I had a small roach and it took another hour to get a bite but I missed that one as well.

Out of the blue, this often happens I had a sail away right at the end of the trot and it felt like a good fish. It was, a nice perch around 2.5 lbs. Chris Ford arrived for a walk up the bank and stood behind me for a while. Always good to talk to Chris as he knows what mood there river is in due to walking the bank most days. He asked me what I had and I told him. Kev Perry and Chris had not done all that well a few days ago. I said I feel like there's a few more fish to come here and with that started to catch a few roach.

Chris went off and I had a phone call from Scott who was fishing up river at Kenn Rd. He said he was getting liners from what he believed was bream. As we spoke he hooked a good fish which was a big perch.


Scott sent me the photo of his perch

I had a few more roach and just as the river started to slow down around 11:15 there was a quick dip of the float that told me it was a tench and that's exactly what it was, not big but around 2lbs.

I finished the session with 5 tench, 1 perch and 12 roach. Simply lovely.

Scott came down to take a photo for me, he never had another bite after the perch.


Tide and weather look great for this Wednesday so I'll be back on it.






No comments:

Post a Comment