Sunday 23 August 2020

Sunday 23rd August - Frome AA Open, River Frome (Somerset), Oldford.

 When I was up at Evesham last Wednesday I asked Gary Cross if there were any matches on this weekend, he told me Frome AA were running an Open and he was going.

I knew they had their first match in years a few weeks ago and it fished hard with a single bream winning it. I had nothing else on and I'd rather fish a match than go pleasure fishing if possible.

I made some enquires and managed to get the organisers number in turn getting the final space. They were only putting in 16 pegs due to some trees coming down. Laurie Magee and a few others from the Club are trying to get the matches up and running again on the Frome but a lot of work needs to be done cutting out swims.

I used to fish the Frome a lot 25 years ago, it's really a winter venue and has a good head of chub, roach and perch.

I found the draw location OK, a field just off Lullington Lane. The draw was 08:30.


Remember when we used to draw by the side of the road or in a field.

Only one gate to get over and everyone helped each other get the gear over.

While I was waiting for the draw I managed to glean a bit of info although given the nature of the river every peg could be different, its a proper Mr, Crabtree water. There was some flow and a tinge of colour so I hoped the roach would feed.

Laurie got the draw underway and started with the person who was last to book in ... me.

Permanent peg 19 was my fate and a fairly long flat walk. I couldn't see what the other pegs looked Like as I went across the field corner to corner.


My first impression was ... not a peg you would run to.
No cover across and it looked very shallow with marginal weed. There was a bit bed of stick up just downstream covering 3/4 of the river.

Plumbing up with a 1 gram float I had about 4 foot down the middle and a clean bottom. 20 hook to 0.10.
It was about 18'' deeper 5 metres out and I had a over hanging trees just below me. I also used a 1 gram float for this line as well but put on an B611 18 to 0.11 to target perch with worm.
A 2bb stick was also set up but not used.

I cupped in 3 balls of roach and river laced with hemp and caster and then put in 3 bait droppers full of choppy on the inside and left it.

Starting of on double maggot down the middle I had a 2 oz chublet straight away. After that it was minnow alley the bed of the river must have been black with them.
After 15 mins I fed another ball and had a 3 oz roach and then a few micro chublets before getting pestered by minnow.

I took a look on the inside with half a dendra and the float sailed away....err...minnow wtf!
Double red...minnow! 
I thought there has got to be perch under that tree so fed more choppy.

Heavy loose feeding with hemp down the middle got me more minnows but now and again using double caster I had the odd small roach, and I mean small but bigger than minnows.

Looking down to pegs 20 and 21 I didn't see much action so just got my head down.

The worm wasn't working on the inside so drip fed red maggot which gave me a few gudgeon and after the halfway match snared a 4 oz perch, about time I thought.
Another followed shortly after and I also had one down the middle.

With 20 minutes to go I looked down to see the angler on peg 21 net a good fish.

The scales came down to me and best in my section was 1-10

I weighed 2 - 12, peg 20 had 3 - 12.
The fish that I saw the guy on 21 net was a bream of around 5lb boosting his weight to 6 - 4 and enough to win the match.

Gary Cross was second with 4 - 12.

I ended up with my section money by double default !

Full results below...




No plans to fish this week just doing prep for the Wychavon Final at Evesham on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment