Thursday 13 August 2020

Wednesday 5th Aug Staverton Open, Sunday 9th Aug S W Super League Final Round, Wednesday 12th Aug Evesham Vets

 I have dragged myself to the Laptop to do this ''catch up'' blog, 

Staverton Open 5th August - I drew peg 11 again for the 3rd time. Its an absolute shite peg with a big snag in the middle just down to the left. It's also quite weedy on the inside line and shallows up before the end of the trot down the middle. The previous visit to the peg saw me loose 2 big chub in the snag after hooking them on the waggler across and under a bush despite standing up on the box to try and bully them over the snag.

You can catch chublets across for a while but the tend to back off and your left scratching around. Roach have been rare at Staverton this year and nothing changed this time. A few small ones caught on caster didn't fill me with any renewed confidence but I carried on just trying to put something in the net which wasn't much.

I ended up with less than 3lb. Tony Scott got the Section by default with just over 3lbs as Team Mate Leigh Wakefield was in our Section down around peg 6 I think and came 2nd in the match with 6lb plus so well done to him.

There was another 6lb plus weight that came first, it fished rock hard.


Leigh's catch

Sunday 9th August S W Super League Newbridge and Chequers - A Section was put in on Chequers as British Rail were meant to be doing some work on the railway line that runs along the Tree's at at Saltford.

Team mate Sam Johnson walked the Chequers stretch on the Saturday and told me it was mayhem with Paddle Boarders, Boats of all descriptions, Swimmers and Sunbathers. He went on to say anyone on A1 - 3 would have a nightmare, great.

Later on in the afternoon the draw was sent out and I was on A2 FFS!!!

We met in McDonalds as usual on the Sunday morning and my head was down, I didn't want to be there, can't remember feeling this negative before.
It got worse after I parked up at Chequers Pub waiting for the gate to open. I was about to walk to the peg to have a look at it when Mark Brush and a few others came back after walking the bank and asked if I had a petrol trimmer .... what!

Walking on to my peg I found it overgrown and rushes going about 5 foot out from the bank.


You can imagine my despair, I rang Sam and told him I was thinking of going home. Anyway I set about clearing the peg with a heavy bank stick and my weed cutter. 40 minutes later and a lot of sweat I had cleared it but still not in the right mind to fish. 
By the time I had tackled up and settled in I was only just ready, baring in mind I got to the peg at around 09:15 and it was an 11 o'clock start.

My set up was 2 wagglers, deep and shallow for across, a maggot feeder and 2 pole rigs, one 2 gram and the other 1.5 gram.
Ground bait mix was Lake, Gros Gardons and a little bit of River laced with caster and hemp.

Rather than ball it I cupped in 2 at 13 metres were the flow was. Starting off on the pole with the 2 gram I ran a maggot through a few times with a bite which was a bit worrying.
I was firing maggot and hemp across by the boats but in the end did not need to fish this line.

A change to caster on the hook was like flicking a switch as I had a good net roach.

Using double or single caster and feeding small nuggets of ground bait regularly with the pole cup brought me bites for most of the day.

I had the board and Dean Harvey took the scales as the guy who had them didn't want to weigh in!

The end pegs A17 and 16 dominated the Section with bream. I was happy with my 13 points from 17 weighing 13lb 8oz.


On paper it looks like I had a good days fishing .... well....yes and no.
It was nice to catch some roach for a change but once more the water way was too busy.

Wednesday 12th August I decided to fish the Vets match at Evesham.
The draw put me on 36 which I was told was a great peg for chub .... if they feed. In summary they didn't and I weighed 2lb 15oz, the Section was won with 3lb 11oz. It did fish hard as Evesham does with the winner having 7lb odd.

Well that's a quick catch up, no more League matches until the Commercial House starts on 6th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment