Friday 31 May 2019

Wednesday 22nd May - 5th Session Bristol Feeder Canal

We had a squad meeting on the Tuesday evening and Mike asked me if I was going on the Feeder Canal the following day. I replied ''I think so''. I had sort of planned to go but the weather didn't look that great. Mike said he would go, so I said yes. I think it was the draw of the quality breakfast in Kelly's Cafe rather than the fishing to be honest.

We met at 06:30 down by Manor Scrap on Feeder Rd. After Mike parked up he asked if Geoff from Gloucester was already fishing. I said wouldn't think so as he has a painting job on. Turns out there was an angler already on the bank fishing where Geoff normally sets up.

We walked down and sure enough an angler was already there minus his landing net, keep net and a few other bits and pieces. Understandable really as he had travelled up from Castle Carey and arrived on the Canal at 05:30 so must have left home at 04:30 !
I hear you say why?....... Well, get this he had read my Blog and decided the Feeder Canal was worth a go. Didn't get his name but he had already lost a bream and had a skimmer.

Mike and I wandered on down the Canal and went up the steps to the road were we could smell the breakfast cooking in Kelly's.
We were in there at 06:45 and tucking into a feast by 07:00.

On the bank again and fishing by 08:20. Mike went up toward Clarks Wood and I set up by Manor Scrap.
Usual set up and lines as well as ground bait.

I had a fairly quick response and soon had a few roach which were nice and clean. Dace also followed but then for some reason the Daddy Ruffe moved in and I couldn't catch anything but them. I came off bottom and things did improve a little. It took regular top ups on both lines and loose feeding caster seemed to draw fish in.

I ended up with a real mixed bag, roach, ruffe, big gudgeon, perch, dace, hybrids and a skimmer. I lost a big bream half way across and bumped another so there were a few about still but I think most have returned to the docks after spawning.

Mike had a mixed bag as well but no bream.



Back up on the Gloucester Canal this Sunday for the Angling Trust Canal Pairs Qualifier with Team Mate Chris Hook. We won it last year and came 5th in the final up in Stafford so fingers crossed this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment