Monday 27 May 2019

Sunday 26th May - Gloucester Canal Spring League Final Round


This was the final round of the well supported Spring League run this year by Dave Micklewright and his band of helpers. A big thanks must go to all the organisers and the Gordon League Rugby Club for hosting the draw and the results.

I have only been able to fish 3 of the 4 matches this year and there have not been any practice matches either. Last year I also pleasure fished it quite a bit during the week but have only been a few times. Pleasure session have not been as good as last year and up until today my match weights have been poor, the draws have definitely not been kind to me or my team mates but take it on the chin, last year I could hardly go wrong and as I always say ''your turn eventually comes back around again''.

Todays bad run of draws continued as I found myself on Sims 13, I hate this section and have never done any good from it and I don't know of anyone else who has had a big weight either. Not sure why it was put in but the Tall Ships event in Gloucester Docks my have had something to do with it and a lot more boats were moored up around Hempstead. Still it is what it is.

Before I left the Rugby Club Brian Pollard said I was in the bay which gave me a bit of hope. On arrival I wasn't. I was a bout 4 pegs away.


Now lets be fair....on the face of it this peg looks great. Apparently years ago there was quite a few chub in this area and you can see why, but not any more.

The canal here is quite narrow, about 20 metres across. Plumbing up with the lead I had about 6 foot just out from the tree line so clipped up tp fish here with the bread and fishmeal feeders.
Depth at 13 metres was around top 4.5 and at 6 metres top 3.5.

I started off on the bread and 2nd cast I had an indication which is about right for the bread. I had a 6.5 mm punch on a 16 wide gape hook. 3 cast and the tip went right around, struck and nothing. This happened 3 or 4 casts in a row. Double pinkie on the hook with liqqy in the feeder had the same effect and the pinkies came back in shreads. Small roach or bleak I think. 40 minutes in I switched to fishmeal and dead reds on the hook. One small knock for the rest of the match on the tip. Nothing on either pole line either so ''blankety blank'' for me. To say I was disheartened is an understatement.
1lb 9oz was weighed to my left and 3oz to my right. The section was won with 6lb 4oz from the Netheridge side of Sims Bridge and I think the other peg that side was 2nd with 3lbs plus. The other weights my side which broke 2lbs was made up of a single fish caught in the first 30 minutes or so!!

Team mate Chris Hook done well from 36 at Hempstead weighing in 6lbs plus and Geraint on 185 at Rea was 3rd in his Section with 5lb 4oz, not sure what Stretch had.


Geraint also lost a bream.

Here are the results on the day as well as the final placings courtesy of Dave Micklewright.

Sections.....


Teams on the day and final placings....


Hopefully back on the Feeder Canal on Wednesday and then ..... wait for it...... back ob the Glossy on Sunday for the Canal Pairs Qualifier with Chris. We won it last year but the way things are going...... who knows what will happen.






No comments:

Post a Comment