Wednesday 1 May 2019

Wednesday 1st May - 2nd Visit to the Bristol Feeder Canal 2019

Warning before you read on this post comes with a warning..... there is a photo of me with fish, hard to believe I know but it had to happen sooner or later.

The alarm went off at 05:45 in order for me to set off from home by 06:20 at the latest to park up where I wanted in Feeder Rd. A quick stop into Budgens to grab a bacon, sausage and egg muffin roll followed by a good run into Bristol arriving at Feeder Rd at 06:50. Loads of space and parked up opposite the Canal down by Manor Scrap where I wanted to fish.

I was just starting to set up and saw another angler with a trolley load of gear walking towards me. Turned out it was Geoff Mortimer from Gloucester who I have met a few times on the tow path of the Glossy and he also follows this blog. Geoff said he set off from home at 05:00 and took a breakfast in a nearby Cafe after parking up not far from me.
An exchange of tips and the approach needed Geoff headed down the towpath and started to set up about 3 pegs away from me.

I had plenty of left over bait from the weekend, caster, worm, dead reds, reds and pinkie. I also had a bit of Lake and Leam left but also mixed up a bit of Lake and Pastoncino.


I set up my 2 usual rigs, a 1 gram and a 2 gram with a 20 on the light rig and an 18 on the other.

Although I usually bait up the track and a 12 or 13 metre line I decided to just bait up the long line leaving the track negative.


The Canal looked pretty good, rain was forecast but not much and its wasn't cold either.

I fed 4 big balls at 13 metres to start off with and went over it straight away with the light rig. I was about 2'' over depth and held it back a little. On the second run through the float slide away and it was a nice skimmer. This was much different to the previous week when it took me 30 mins to get a bite.

I soon had another decent skimmer which indicated a good day was to be had. Just before 09:00 the traffic on Feeder Rd was backing up a bit towards the city centre, I hooked into a bigger skimmer and the No.4 elastic was well stretched. As I played it someone in a car behind me shouted out ''go on Ivan, better than the Gloucester Canal''. I have no idea who it was lol.

Geoff took a walk up to see how I was getting on and I landed another good skimmer while he was there. At this point he had roach and dace, no skimmers.

The first half of the morning up to about 11:00 was brilliant and then it slowed a bit but there was fish still in the swim.

I played around a bit with the depth and added good roach and dace. Just before 12:00 I hit a really good fish which must have been a bream. The elastic bottomed out and then the hook came away.

Geoff started to get a few skimmers and had a decent bream around 13:00.

I packed up just after 14:00 but Geoff carried on for a bit longer.


Geoff had the best fish of the day and text me to say his total catch weighed 26lb odd

I can't complain about my day, absolutely love it and Geoff was good company.


My catch, what's not to like

Thats it from me for a couple of weeks but will be back on the bank week commencing 13th May.






No comments:

Post a Comment