Wednesday 27 February 2019

Wednesday 27th February - Premier Angling Open, Bristol Avon Chippenham

Billed as an Open it was in the main a few of the Avon League guys who booked in for this match plus a few others making a total of 12. Our final Avon League match of the series is on Chippenham waters next Wednesday.

Chippenham had a Club match Sunday just gone and in the main it fished terrible with 2lb winning most sections.
Colin pegged it from a permanent peg in the 30's all the way down to Monkton Park so a fair bit of room for everyone.
Team mate Mike Martin pleasure fished peg 40 on Monday and bagged up to the tune of 45lbs (chub).

I was early in the draw due for a change and pulled out peg 9, I was told this was permanent peg 57 so off I went to try and park in a cul de sac hoping for a short walk. When I got there Tony Scott and Dave Baker had the last 2 parking spaces. I stopped and asked if they had been helicoptered in!!
So Riverside Dr. it was then and a longer walk.

It was OK to be honest but when I got to permanent peg 57 there was no peg 9. I had a good look around and picked up the local druggies litter before I went a couple of pegs upstream where I found a 9 taped to a bush.

The peg did look nice with far bank cover just downstream and you could cast a wagger into a clear spot before allowing it to progress under the trees.


Depth right across was about 5 foot so set up a waggler to fish at full depth and another at about 3.5 foot. 
A crowquil for down the middle and a tip rod. Both these were never used.

I started on the deep waggler as it was going through quite quick firing over maggot and hemp. I had a bite first cast but bumped it. No mistake second trot through and netted a chub of around 12oz. The maggot and hemp kept going in and I soon had chublets lined up taking my hook bait which was double red on a wide gape 18 to 0.11 power. It was going brilliant to be honest with bites most trots down.

After about 2 hours or so Tony Scott came up for a walk saying he wasn't doing that well and it was the same for Dave Baker and Kev Boltz on end peg hadn't had a bite. Tony watched me net a decent perch followed by a chublet and walked upstream to see how the rest were doing.
I carried on catching using the deep wag when it was going through and the shallow wag with it slow up due to the tilting gate below the town bridge.

Tony duly returned and reported that the angler on 40 had a few chub and 3 bream but said I was doing well.

The fish kept coming and I was enjoying myself (unlike last Sunday).

A paddle boarder came up and a canoe came down but fair play to them they came on the inside as I requested.

Tony was back again nearer the end and said Dave Baker had a few big chub now but Kev was still without a bite. He saw me get a few more fish before he went off home.

The all out was at 4 p.m. and it came around too quick but it had been a great session in the warm sunshine.

Kev came up with the scales and said Dave Baker had 9 chub for 24lb I knew I had nowhere near that as my fish averaged 6oz but he called 15lb 15oz.


So I ended up with a section by default as Dave won the match.
Second best weight was 21 lbs off permanent peg 40, my weight was third best.

Fellow Clevedon Club mate Paul Randell got the other section with 8lb odd.

Lovely days fishing and a bit of litter clearing as well.


Clevedon Club Match this weekend on the River Kenn which could be superb or dire but rain is forecast and a bit of colour might help.




No comments:

Post a Comment