Tuesday 7 April 2015

Summerhayes 29th March and Acorn 4th April

Getting a bit behind with updates concerning my outings due to workload and family business resulting in a lack of energy but hopefully past that now altough I have a busy year ahead.

Summerhayes 29th March.

I took the plunge the other week and booked into the Summerhayes Fishery Open on Sunday 29th March, I knew it would be on Longs Lake so a chance of some of the 70 odd big bream they have stocked (4lb - 5lb fish). What I did not plan was to fish in a hurricane. I did have a chance to catch up with semi professional blogger Jamie Rich (Against men and Fish) and a regular at the venue.
Jamie has a fair bit of info on his blog concerning Summerhayes so I thought I would be as prepared as I could and I had been on the Fishery twice last year. I drew peg 39 which was the golden peg as well so no surprise that I ballsed it up.
I did fish the traditional micro and soft pellet approach about 10 meters out on a couple of lines but only had a few small skimmers and foul hooked a carp which spat the scale back at me. Down to my left near the big white sign with the Fishery number on it that you can see from the M5 motorway I fed a few wetted number 4's by hand and the noise did attract a few fish from under the sign very very late in the match and I managed to snare 4 of them giving me a combined total weight of just over 11lb and way (way) down the weights on the day. It was hard to concentrate and keep an eye on your gear throughout the 6 hours in the heavy winds which changed direction.
The results overall on the day were surprisingly good, Jamie has the full results (and he did ok himself) on his blog http://againstmenandfish.blogspot.co.uk/

Clevedon Open Saturday 4th April

Clevedon had a Club Match on Sellicks Lake at Summerhayes on the Easter Sunday, I could not fish due to a family gathering so booked in for the Clubs Open on Acorn which will be held every other Saturday now. 4 from the Team had booked in so we had a good presence within the 17 that entered and were well spread out over the 40 pegs avoiding a few pleasure anglers.
I don't know what it is about this lake but it appears to be very nice weather wise everywhere else until you arive here. A stiff breeze was around making presentation at distance a little difficult. I was on island peg 4 and Thyers Captain Lance Tucker on 2 so we had a fair bit of space. I had a decent skimmer after 10 minutes on soft pellet over micro at the botttom of the far shelf but that was it across for the whole match. A few more smaller samples in the middle came to the net but nothing to speak of.
Peg 5 was to my left and I had fed number 4's by catapult down towards the pallet. I fished banded 6mm or 8mm over this line after a couple of hours and managed a good run of carp, lost a few as well (foul hookers). Lance put a steady number of fish in his net throughout the day catching mainly across, not sure what he was using as hook bait but I suspect it was soft pellet as he had a nice net of silvers plus carp to win the match with 64lb. I done ok with just over 42lb for 6th on the day but felt as I should have won it had I tried the nearside earlier and at variance distances.
Team mate James Gunter was 2nd and another team mate Dom Sullivan was 3rd.
Results below and see Dom's view of the match on his blog http://caughtshortsullivan.blogspot.co.uk/


Undecided about this weekend ... Summerhayes?

No comments:

Post a Comment