Monday 3 May 2021

Sunday 2nd May - Port Talbot Dock Open

 I think most of us are aware that COVID restriction and guidance in Wales has been slightly different to England and that did affect travelling and fishing.

Looking back the last time I fished the Dock was on 22nd March 2020, I ran that match on behalf of Steve O'Mara and then the Lock Downs began. As restrictions eased in Wales some of the locals have been fishing the Dock organising a few Knock Ups. Team mate and founder member of Nomads Rich Candy had been doing well.

With nothing else on this Sunday I sent Steve O'Mara a message asking if he was organising a match on the Dock, Steve came back straight away confirming that he was and I was more than welcome. In fact Steve has started the Port Talbot Docks Match Fishing page again on FaceBook where notification of matches will be published as well as results etc.

Meet up was on the Dock itself at 08:00, for some reason I was running a little late but rang Andy Thomas to say I was almost there just before 8. I need not of have worried as Rich Candy and Clive Roberts arrived after me. On the way into the Dock Dai Morgan who runs the Fishery recognised me and gave me the thumbs up and a welcome back.

As I parked up Steve Shaw asked me what pie I wanted, Beef or Lamb and Mint, apparently his shop was closing so he brought a load of pies to give out to the lads. Well, when in Wales its got to be lamb hasn't it!

Paid my pools to Steve who gave me a warm welcome as did some of the other lads. A good turn out today and a strong Nomads presence namely....Andy Thomas, Rich Candy, Clive Roberts, Nige Evans (also a member of DGL) and myself. 

I phoned Richy in the week once I had booked in to get some information on the Docks form, skimmers and roach had been feeding well. It did seem that the whip was working well but there had been the odd big bream / skimmer weight to.

The random draw saw my peg drawn out about halfway down the list, peg 6 it was to be and I have fished between 8 and 5 quite a few times. I must have known I was going to draw there as my van was parked about 30 metres away. I was actually the end peg with Paul Waddington (DGL) on 7 and a local angler on peg 8 which is out on a small point.

You don't need a lot of tackle to fish the Dock, I only had a 6 metre whip and 2 feeder rods, one with braid and one with mono.

It was a glorious morning, bright sunshine and flat calm, roach were topping as well.

Plenty of time to set up with fishing 10 - 4.

I had a load of ground bait today, 2.5 kilo of Sensas Black Lake / Black Magic for the Whip line (roach) and 2 Kilo of Fishmeal for the Feeder.

6 big jaffa's went in at 6 metres laced with dead red, hemp, caster and corn. Starting on the feeder second chuck at 30 turns I had a rattle and knew it was a roach, a few more followed and I was re-casting every 5 minutes for the first 30. I did feel it wasn't right though as normally you can pick up skimmers fairly early.

Picking up the whip it was a roach first put in with corn. Corn usually sorts out the better roach. Paul on peg 7 was fishing the whip as well but more like 7 to 8 metres and it did appear to be slow on his peg. Both of us were getting loads of bites but only hitting 1 in 8. It was amazing watching the float sail under and keep going in the clear water but when you struck there was nothing there.

I could see the local angler on peg 8 was just fishing the tip and there wasn't much happening on his peg.

A change to double maggot on the whip made a difference but the roach were small. You could catch 3 or 4 in as many put in's but then nothing. I kept feeding little balls  every other cast but they were not lining up for it. Paul started getting plagued by pike as did I so perhaps that was the problem. I did land one on the whip when it just took a maggot, a long lean bugger of around 7 to 8lbs. 

Every hour for the first 4 I took the odd look on the feeder but it was no good.

Andy Thomas came up for a walk and said most were struggling, Rich and Nige were admitting to double figures. A few skimmers were caught by a couple of the feeder lads but none in any numbers.

With 2 hours to go I decided just to stay on the whip.

Paul reckoned I had around 15lb and thought I would frame, he had a good last hour or so and I thought it would be close between us as his fish were a slightly better stamp.

The scales came up to us and Rich was winning with 21lb 9oz, helped by a mullet of around 4lbs, Nige was lying 2nd with 19lb. Paul on peg 7 weighed 15lb 4oz, I thought he had done me. My net went 15lb 7oz, that was close.

So 3rd overall for me and with my team mates filling 1st and 2nd place it was a good day.


Rich likes the mullet, here's one he caught a couple of weeks ago which helped him win the match.

Many thanks to Steve for running the matches again, I'll be back in a couple of weeks but first i have to fish the Gloucester Canal next Sunday in round 2 of the league, a good draw is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment