Sunday 3 January 2021

Sunday 3rd January - Pleasure session River Axe North Somerset

 Happy New Year all.

I met up with team mates Sam Johnson and Chris Hook today to fish the River Axe just outside Weston Super Mare. Sam who is Secretary of Weston AA assured us we would have a few bites, well we have heard all that before but after checking their Facebook Page I could see what they caught on their Christmas Match toward the end of December. 30lb won the match, there were quite a few skimmers that made up that weight but there were also good backing weights of roach.

I have fished the Axe once before back in the 80's and believe I blanked in a Bristol P O Club match. 

I picked Sam's brains a bit .... just bring a pint of caster and a pint of maggot, fish the 3 gram whip or a small crowquill.

We met up around 08:30 and went downstream of Bleadon Bridge, an area called the ''Paddock''. it was a fairly easy walk with the light gear but a bit muddy.

We fished off 3 small platforms all in a row. The water was going quite fast but the tide also affects this part of the river. High tide was around 10:30, sam said the flow would slow down but not go still like my home water the River Kenn. There was a bit of colour in the water as well and fish were toping all over the place with pike and big perch chasing them.

It didn't take long to set up as the whip rig and crowquill were already on winders ready to go. Just a case of plumbing up. It was around 6 foot at 6 metres but expected to drop about 2 foot or more during the session after the tide turned.

Chris also set up a whip and quill the same as me but Sam had a 5 metre whip and a 6 metre. One of his rigs was 4 gram to fish worm for big perch.

First trott down and I had a 2 oz roach straight away, Sam and Chris were also into fish immediately.

I was feeding caster quite heavily with double red maggot on a size 20 with the whip. The fish were really having it and after 2 hours I had got through a pint of caster. Luckily I had another pint so topped up the bait tray. 

I walked down with a coffee to watch Sam who had bait dropped in some worm and was fishing half a dendra on his 4 gram rig, he was holding back hard and although he had to wait a while for a bite he did get some big billies.

Chris was also loving the fishing, bite a chuck and had a few hybrids.

Went back on my box and looked up to see Chris play a big fish on the whip, he done well to land it and must have been about 6lbs.

I started feed heavy with maggot mixed in with the caster and must have almost had a roach every put in plus some stamp roach and a big perch.

What a session and we called it a day at 14:30.

All of us weighed over 20lb each, Chris and Sam 22lb and I had 28lb, simply lovely.



Sam with his bag incl a nice perch


Chris didn't mind the mud


Plenty of bites kept me warm

What a great session, I'm back again next Sunday for a WSM Club Match, can't wait.






No comments:

Post a Comment