Wednesday 24 April 2019

Tuesday 23rd April - 1st visit to the Bristol Feeder Canal 2019

I had intended to get up and be on the banks of the Canal by 07:00 but a 6 mile waterfall walk in Wales the previous day put paid to that and I woke up around 08:00 so too late to get a parking space along Feeder Road. I decided to go in the afternoon instead hoping that a few spaces might become available due to people leaving the area after an early start.
Arriving in the area around 13:15 I found a couple of spaces, not on Feeder Rd itself but in ''Short St'' opposite the Burger Van. I was on the bank down by Manor Scrap at 13:30. There were 4 other anglers up by the popular old SWEB building but no one down my end.

The Canal had a steady flow towards Bristol Docks so set up a 1 gram rig to a 20 tied to 0.10 fluro, another rig was set up similar to above but was 2 grams as the flow can pick up from time to time. both set ups had no. 4 elastic.

Ground bait mix was Black Lake and a sprinkling of Pastincino with a bit of chopped worm, dead pinkie and a few casters. Two balls went in down the middle and two across at 12 metres, depth was the same on both lines.

Starting off on the far line with maggot things were not looking good for the first 30 minutes and then a change to pinkie go me a small dace following my a dumpy roach. A look down the middle produced nothing so re-fed a small ball. Back in the 12 metre line gave me another roach and after that the bites just kept coming. I left the middle as the far line was most productive with net roach and dace.

I kept potting in golf sized balls and around 15:30 had my first skimmer which was around a 1lb. I upped the amount of worm in the ground bait as well as a bit of addition pastincino and it must have been like ringing the dinner bell. Until I packed up at 18:00 I had a run of more skimmers, baby bream, hybrids and roach.

A great session and thanks to Phillip Yenug for taking the photo.


The Bristol Feeder Canal is open all year and is free to fish. Best time of the year is from April to June.


No comments:

Post a Comment