Friday 3 August 2018

Sunday 29th July - S W Super League Round 4, River Huntspill

Bit of a late blog due to having a bit of a DIY workload and Community Bus commitment this week.

Back on the Huntspill then for the 3rd Sunday in a row. Heavy rain and strong winds were forecast so as a team we decided on an all out Feeder approach as we had nothing to loose. Top positions in the League are gone for us so we are just going for individual glory in the form of pick ups if we can.

Team was.....
Mark Williams (c)
Rich Whitmarsh
Rich Candy
Leigh Wakefield
Martin Bendall
Mike Withey
Steve Saunders
Me

It was blowing up a bit on the way down the M5 along with heavy showers. Leigh and I met up with Rob Jones in the Services and he too was going for a Feeder approach.

The draw was at the 37 Club Woolavington.

Mark came back with the draw and I found myself on 86 which was the Section below Woolavington Bridge. It had not fished that well in the previous weeks. Leigh was in the next Section down on 89 so we both had a fairly easy walk.

When I got to my peg there was one more in just before the copse, after that there was a 50 yard gap. Fortunately the peg below me was not drawn. It must have been put in to accommodate a Hospital Team in order to boost the number of anglers fishing.


The wind was off our backs on this bank so not much effort was needed to chuck a 30 gram feeder tight across (42 turns), I had a line down the middle as well. It didn't take long to set up the 2 Feeder Rods. Usual fishmeal ground bait with choppy, caster and dead reds.

I fed the 2 lines with 6 feeder fulls each before starting right across with half a dendra and a dead red on a 14 to 0.13.  Most other anglers in the section appeared to do the same. 

It took about 30 minutes to get the first indication, just a rattle from a small fish. I hit the bite but nothing. Next cast I had a slightly more positive indication in the form of a slight pull and a drop back on the 2.5 oz tip. Hit it and a positive thud in the form of a bream. Not big, more of a skimmer around 1.5 lbs.  15 minutes later another one, slightly bigger. Lee Green DGL to my right also had one but was not casting as far as me. In the next hour I had another 2 small bream and just kept plugging away but unfortunately no more bream although I was getting the odd liner.

Lee to my right managed a few quality roach on the pole and hemp late to pip me by a few ounces.


They look bigger than what they weighed


Heres how my Section finished, I only needed one proper bream to pick up.


Chris Parr on the first peg in did really well on the pole catching quality roach, hybrids and small skimmers to win the Section.


Heres how our Team Sheet looked, not good.


Overall the River switched off compared to the previous week with only 20lb needed to win.

Top 3 individuals on the day....

1st     Martin Barrett 20lb
2nd    Matt Parsons 17lb 11oz
3rd     Steve Long 16lb 10oz

Teams on the day.....

1st     DGL
2nd    GBV
3rd     Sensas 88
4th     P I Thatchers
5th     Sensas Nomads
6th     Sensas Lobbys

League position to date...

1st     DGL
2nd    P I Thatchers
3rd     GBV
4th     Sensas 88
5th     Sensas Lobbys
6th     Sensas Nomads


Practice Match Sunday 5th on the Bristol Avon at Newbridge, league match the week after.






No comments:

Post a Comment