Monday 13 August 2018

Sunday 12th August - S W Super League Round 5, Bristol Avon, Newbridge

Back at Newbridge again for the penultimate round of this popular league. We had quite a bit of rain prior to the match and more was forecast so we were hoping there would be a bit of colour in the river.
Draw was at the Crown in Keynsham again but due to last weeks staffing problems with breakfast Chris, Sam and I met up in McDonalds on the Bath Rd in Bristol. We got to the Crown in plenty of time and met up with the others and picked up my 2nd in Section money from the previous week from Mike Withey.

Team today was...
Mike Withey
Rich Whitmarsh
Rich Candy
Chris Hook
Sam Johnson
Leigh Wakefield
Andy Thomas
me
Mike Martin-Davies ...bank runner

56 anglers today but one made up team of 8 to boost numbers but their points would not count.

Draw done I found myself on D2 which is permanent peg 52 which is a long walk but I thought worth going to. Fishing today was 11:30 - 16:30. Parked up OK and headed downstream dressed as if it was winter. Once I got to my peg it was down to polo shirt.
Above me and the first peg in my section was Welsh International Nigel Evans. Also in my section was another incredibly talented angler Andy Power.

My peg looked OK and I was able to fish from the bank as opposed to getting in the water last week but just as well I took my 4 metre keepnet.
Plenty of ground bait today and a mix of Sensas River, Roach, Black Crumb and Leam. Tackle Shop set up as I had plenty of time.....
Crowquill
Waggler
Feeder
3 gram Flat Float
2 gram Running through Float

To be honest I don't really know this section of the river as I have never drawn it. I did learn that Nigel was on a form peg especially for the pole.
I had top 4 deep rigs at 13 metres which was quite nice. I did intend to start on the running through rig and then sit on the Flat Float to see if there are any bonus fish about.
The river had a bit of flow but not any colour.

14 big balls went in at the start on the pole line and 4 down the middle laced with dead reds, caster and hemp.
I had 30 fish (roach, perch and hybrids) in the first hour and a quarter before the bites dried up. I let the rig run down as far as I could to see if they had backed downstream when the float buried and when I struck loads of elastic came out. It did feel like a bream but soon discovered it was a jack pike about 3lbs that must have take a roach straight away after it had been hooked. I was just letting it swim around when the phone went. It was Sam who told me he only had 8 fish and was struggling. The pike eventually bit the line.
Mike came along and said I was more or less level with those around me. I picked up the waggler and went right across and started to pick up barrel chub and chunky bleak fishing about 4 foot deep and spraying maggot. A couple of better chub around 8oz were good weight builders.

I had been feeding caster on the pole line as well so after 40 minutes had another look on the light rig. Nothing, no sign of life at all. Picked up the Flat Float and put half a dendra on. Put it in, held back and it sailed away. A perch of about 6 ozs. That'll do I though then nothing more after 20 minutes so back on the waggler picking up odd fish. I kept checking the pole line and re-balled but no joy.

On the all out I thought I had about 7 to 8lbs....I wasn't far off.


7lb 4oz so bang on with my estimate




Heres what my section looked like




Section winner Nigel Evans with some quality fish, all on the pole

Back at the pub it was clear we had not done very well and quite a few of the team did not come back. Shame really as the pub had laid on complementary sausages and chips.

Results as follows:

1st    Tim Ford 18lb 8oz   P I Thatchers
2nd   Paul Nicholls 15lb 15oz   Sensas 88
3rd    Nick Chedzoy 15lb 5oz   P I Thatchers

Teams on the day:

1st    P I Thatchers
2nd   DGL
3rd    GBV
4th    Sensas 88
5th    Sensas Lobbys
6th    Sensas Nomads

League to date:

1st    DGL
2nd   P I Thatchers
3rd    GBV
4th    Sensas 88
5th    Sensas Lobbys
6th    Sensas Nomads



Tim with his winning catch taken from the first peg in the little field See his blog http://cluckerspeg.blogspot.com

So the final round is next week, again its at Newbridge.

My results lately have been mediocre so need a decent result as does the team.





No comments:

Post a Comment