Monday 20 August 2018

Sunday 19th August - S W Super League Final Round, Bristol Avon, Newbridge

Final Round today of this popular league and a big thank you to Dave Micklewright, Simon Hebditch, Mark Treasure, Mark Harper, Andy Jane and all the pegged outer's plus the Club Houses and Pubs which have accommodated us for the draws and results afterwards. It is very much appreciated, well done. If you need any help next year please ask.

Newbridge has been a bit temperamental lately probably due to the changeable weather, lack of flow and clear conditions. Rain during the week made no difference as the ground just soaked it up.

Sensas Nomads Team today was....
Andy Thomas (c)
Rich Candy
Mark Whippet
Mike Withey
Rich Whitmarsh
Chris Hook
Sam Johnson
Me

There was some fishing royalty today.... Des Ship and Andy Power fishing for P I Thatchers.

A lot of fish have been showing in the ''trees'' section by the Rugby Field and I did fancy it. Andy came back with the draw and I found myself on G5 (permanent peg 112) in the ''trees''. The weights had been coming from the higher numbers but happy enough. I parked up by good fishing pal Dean Harvey who pegged it out the day before and he said I had a bit of room.

It was a relatively short walk to the peg as opposed to last week. The peg was nice and clear and a good bit of room to ship back the pole without it sticking out on the path behind so no passers by sky lining me.


Nice and tidy today or as my Welsh Team mates say tidee

The flow, what there was of it was just shy of 13 metres so set up a 2 gram running through rig and a 3 gram flatty. Depth was match top 4.5. While setting up the wind was not too bad so set up a waggler for across and a feeder rod with a 20 grammer with a B520 size 14 to 0.13.
Ground bait was a 50/50 mix of Sensas Lake and Dark River with a pint of Leam and half a pint of mole hill soil.

10 balls were made up for chucking in at the start laced with hemp, caster and a bit of chopped worm.

I started off on caster with the running through rig and hit a small skimmer first run though only to have a rower come up the inside across my line and the fish was lost...bastard I murmered plus a few other adjectives. I had 8 roach in the next 40 minutes before going out on the flat float with double caster as this method seemed to have worked well lately. I had a decent perch first put in which was ok but usually a bad sign. A few more perch followed, not big by any means but at least something was going in the net. I was loose feeding caster and hemp over the top and when I changed to my running rig I was able to nick the odd small roach but it was very slow.

Giving the pole line a rest I picked up the waggler. The wind had got a bit stronger at this point but casting hard and tight I was able to combat it slightly and caught a few barrel chub, bleak and roach.
It was hard to say how the section was fishing as no one came past, if they did they couldn't get to me anyway. I was catching on the wag but didn't think it was great so persevered with the flatty again picking up the odd fish on double caster but it was a waiting game and thought there had to be better fish in the peg somewhere.

I picked up the feeder at 3 o'clock and put half a dendra tipped with a maggot filling the feeder with a little bit of chop and caster in quite dry ground bait. I had not fed my feeder line at the start so expected it to take a few casts before any indications were seen. Third cast and a gentle pull round saw me connect with a small skimmer of around 10oz my biggest fish of the day so far. boat traffic got a bit busy again so had to put the tip right down to the water. 15 mins later I had another decent bite and landed a better skimmer of around 1lb. That was it so decided to stick with this method until the all out at 4.30. I had 5 more before the end and was somewhat relieved as prior to 3 o'clock I felt I was going nowhere.

Nicky Ewers and Gary Cross came down with the scales and board from the earlier numbers in the section and were admitting to a couple of pound or so each. I said I though I had 6lb or 7lb.
I walked down to G7 which was end peg in the section and Dan Squire was saying he only had a couple of pounds, he weighed 5-10!
Andy Pollard was next on G6 and he was admitting to 6 / 7lbs, correct he weighed 7-1.
I was next and when I pulled the net out thought it should go at least 8lbs. Better than that as Nicky called out 10-9.


Heres how my section board looked, well happy with that.


Back in the car park I met up with Mike Withey and Andy Thomas. Andy had also won his section with 7lb odd so £60 section money each.

I headed back to the Crown at Keynsham for the results and the weights coming back overall were not great.

The top 3 individuals were really close.

1st     Andy Power P I Thatchers 13-15
2nd    Mike Bernsten GBV 13-12
3rd     Andy Powell Sensas Lobbys 13-2

I would have been in the top 10 / 12.

Teams on the day..

1st     GBV
2nd    DGL and P I Thatchers
4th     Sensas 88
5th     Sensas Nomads
6th     Sensas Lobbys

Final league ..

1st     DGL
2nd    P I Thatchers
3rd     GBV
4th     Sensas 88
5th     Sensas Lobbys
6th     Sensas Nomads

Not the finish we wanted but its our first year as a new team and we are up against some quality.

But ...... its the taking part that counts...... bollocks to that!











No comments:

Post a Comment