Friday 5 May 2017

Thursday 4th May - Cadbury Angling Open, Paddock Lake Acorn Fishery

Cadbury Angling who are now located at the Acorn Fishery Complex are running a series of Thursday evening opens during May and June and possibly into August, here are the details......


I have just returned from a fabulous week in Cuba and booked in prior to going. I had enough pellet and only needed some Swim Stim to make up paste.
I was always going to fish short as my No. 8 Section was not coming back until Friday after standing on it a few weeks ago.
I got to the Fishery at around 16:40 and there were a few there already. Toby and Dan who own Cadbury Angling were also fishing making 11 in total. 
The draw was done a little early and we were to start fishing when everyone was ready.
I had already loaded the trolley to walk to my peg wherever I drew which was just as well as I drew peg 2 on the island. Some of the other guys ran to there vans / cars lol in order to get set up quickly.

The only other angler on the island was Rob Fogg on peg 5 and I had team mate Sam Johnson to my right on bridge peg 34.

I set up 2 identical rigs for down the edge to my right for paste as there was a strong cold wind blowing left to right and 1 for top 2 plus 2 out in front for soft pellet. 

Not sure when we started but it was before 18:30 and I cupped in 2 big pots of pellet down the edge starting out in front with soft pellet over micro fed via a cad pot.

Lots of fish were showing along the far bank ledge but I was quite happy to fish short, no other choice really.

After 10 minutes I had a small 5oz carp followed by a few more and a crucian, then I had a proper carp around 4lb. I was only getting dips of the float indicating small fish so switched down the edge with paste after 45 mins.

It did not take long for the float to disappear and I was soon playing a carp which I landed quickly.
I was getting lots of bites but missed them and then lost a foul hooker.

I made a few adjustments to my rig and put on a bigger bit of paste which was much better taking a few more 4lb fish.

Then disaster.... I hooked a carp and it tore off toward Sam and my No. 5 section snapped. All I could see was my top 4 and 1/2 heading down the track. I shouted to Sam as it was being towed towards his bank. Sam managed to grab it and I ran over to him. As I got there he was playing the fish on my puller bung and I netted it. It was properly hooked and I put it back.

I came back and put the 2 parts of the No.5 inside each other, shipped out and caught another carp much to Rob Foggs surprise.

A couple more followed but I was nervous using my sleeved broken section. I had another No.5 but it was not a power section. 

I was first to weigh and had just under 26lbs, I could have done a lot better. Rob did not weigh as he only had 1 carp and some bits.

Top 3 were.....

1st Paul Nichols 97lb 14oz - peg 17
2nd Mark Bartlett 88lb 9oz - peg 10
3rd Rich Lovering 54lb - peg 8

Paul also won the first golden peg.

Toby and Dan laid on hot dogs and cider after the match which was well received.

Looking forward to next week.

No. 8 section which I stood on Good Friday is now back after being repaired and power No. 5 ordered.

Teams of 4 match on the Gloucester Canal this Sunday.



No comments:

Post a Comment