Friday 20 May 2016

Thursday 19th May - Bristol City Docks evening 'knock up' Baltic Wharf

This was my 4th time fishing with the Bristol City Docks Match Group. We were a few short due to some being on holiday but it's an evening out with like minded people and I continue to be impressed with the venue.
Most of us got there well before the 18:00 draw on the dockside so we were heading to our pegs a little earlier than usual. I drew in the middle, peg 18 and was fairly happy with that given the weights that have been coming from this end. There was a couple of boats moored up so peg 20 was put in for a change and apparently it's a bit shallower than the others.
I have not been on the docks any other evening but Thursday nights is a bit busy on the water with small sailing boats, rowers, paddle boarders, the ferry and the tourist boat.


A lot of people use the facilities in Bristol City Docks

By 18:30 everyone was ready, I had two top 5 rigs set up with 2.5 grm floats, one a yellow top the other orange to cope with the light conditions. It was dry at the start but fine horrible rain came in as forecast later. Not much of a tow either way tonight but the surface of the water changed from choppy to calm to choppy etc. To be fair to the guys they have been giving me advice on how to fish the venue but I have still not cracked it. A few evening sessions on my own is needed to sort myself out.
I put plenty of caster in at the start via 5 big balls of ground bait. I had a small roach first put in and missed a few bites straight after, it looked like dace were snatching at it on the way down. I fished probably 11 to 12 meters all night and only ended up with 1lb 8oz which was disappointing although Dave Clutterbuck next to me on 17 also struggled but weighed in around 4lbs despite both of us altering the depth during the three and a half our session.
I could see Merv Sivell up on 16 adding good fish now and again and Pete Ellis next door on 19 had a cracking bream around 21:00 just before we put the spotlights on.
On the night Dave Willmott on end peg 20 had a cracking session weighing in 12lb odd of mainly perch using maggot over hemp and caster at 5 meters to take the money.

1st    Dave Willmott 12lb 1 oz
2nd   Merv Sivell 11lb 1oz, good mixed net of 2 bream, and a big perch that went 2lbs.
3rd   Pete Ellis 9lbs 14oz (including a 4lb bream.



Merv with his 2lb perch..... looks like they both have the same facial expression.

Looking forward to next week and I must not fish so far out (like they told me!).

Gloucester Canal on Sunday for the last match of the Spring Series, think we are at Saul Junction.


No comments:

Post a Comment