Sunday 1 May 2016

Sunday 1st May - Gloucester Canal Open Castle Section

I had a call from Team Captain Chris Hook at the end of the week informing me there was an Open on the Gloucester Canal this Sunday and did I want to fish it. Chris and Lewis were going up to practice for the Spring League Match next week (I am away so cannot fish). I do like the challenge of the Gloucester Canal and confirmed I would go.
Draw was in McDonalds Bristol Road Gloucester so met up with the guys for a breakfast wrap and coffee.
None of us had fished the Castle stretch before and we were not sure were to go after the draw. Normally postcodes are given to aid those unfamiliar with the Section parking but we had to rely on locals to guide us in. As there were only 24 fishing today there were two parking locations either end of the Section.
DGL organiser Mark Treasure was paying 4 Sections of 6 and top 2 overall. Lewis was pretty near the front of the draw que while Chris and I were toward the back. Lewis came back not very happy with his draw, it did not make any difference to Chris and I as we had no idea which pegs were good or bad. I drew 381 while Chris pulled out 375 so we were both at the same end. Fishing was 10:30 - 15:30.
Walking to our pegs back toward Gloucester we passed a few pegs which where in a wider part of the canal and two bays. Where Chris was headed locals said good bream weights came from his area at the same time last year.
My peg, 381 had plenty of room and about 5 empty pegs to my left and 2 to my right due to moored boats on the far bank.




My plan to toady was very simple, pole line at 11 meters and top 5 deep (due to the stiff breeze). Cupped in 4 balls of chop and caster with a few dead reds and left it for 90 minutes starting on the bread with the Feeder casting about 3 meters short of the far bank.
I did not let the Feeder stay out too long and was re-casting every 10 minutes. I had a few small knocks on the tip at around 11:00 which was encouraging but they were not positive. 10 minutes later I had a positive slow pull and connected with what I knew was a bream. It was soon netted and was around 2 lbs plus (big skimmer really). Happy days I thought but no more indications in the next couple of casts. Just as I was thinking of trying the pole line the tip rattled and I though what the hell hit it I was rewarded with a skimmer of around 1 lb. I gave it another 15 mins on the tip but nothing. Going on the  11 meter line the float just sat there motionless but I stuck with it trying various hook baits. I had a few dips but did not connect with anything.
By 13:00 I was back on the tip with chop and caster and did try various hook baits but nothing at all.
Going back on the pole after 30 minutes the float sailed away and I hooked a small eel, but most welcome. That was it for me.
Looking up and down as far as I could see during the match there did not seem to be that much action.
Anglers who had the weigh scales walked passed me to start at peg 374 and then come back down. When they came back to me my 2 fish and the eel went 3 lbs 8 ozs the best so far ( at this point I did not realise I had won the Section).


My Section winning bag (lol)


Chris caught up with me a said Lewis had gone home not weighing while he had 1 lb 12 ozs.
We walked down toward the parking area catching up with the scales to see Shane Williams put over 20 lbs on the scales with 3 bream and 2 big tench. Shane caught on the Feeder with hardly anything in the ground bait.


Shane with his catch.

Heres how the 2 Sections at my end fished.


As Chris and I were waiting for a Bridge Swing in order to head home Mark Treasure phone to say I had won my Section and he would keep the money and give to Chris for me next week.
Shane would have won the match overall with his bream and tench bag.

Well not sure where to fish Tuesday or Wednesday but Bristol City Docks evening match on Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment