Sunday 30 June 2013

Sunday 30th June - return to the River Kenn

I dragged myself out of bed this morning even though I had about 9 hours sleep. I went to my first Asian Wedding yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed myself, the food was excellent and I had a couple of pints afterward with some friends. Anyway back to today, I could not belive the wind was still howling, it was the same last week so I decided to have a look around the Kenn first before deciding where to fish. I went up to the area known as the 'cross waters' first, this is where the old River Kenn, the Black Ditch and some other drain meets to form the Blind Yeo (also know as the Kenn, confusing I know. I was tempted but there did appear to be a fair bit of weed, I could see another angler setting up about 200 yds away but did not walk down. Back in the car and I stopped in Davis Lane just below the M5 Motorway Bridge, up over two stiles and a short walk to the bank, the water had a tinge of brown colour in it, the wind was upstream, there was some weed but only about a third across and would not cause any problems, then a roach broke the surface. That's it I thought and hurried back to unload the gear.


View from my peg looking up towards the M5



Here is my peg, you can see the streamer weed.

After I took these two phots the wind got up and there was a ripple on the water all day, I decided just to fish the tip and got out my new Drennan Match Pro purchased from Cadbury Angling on the Friday night, lovely piece of kit. My ground bait mix was 50% Sensas Noire and 50% Sensas Magic, I mixed up just under 2 kilo and added half a pint of caster and balled in 6 handsized balls two thirds the way across. I wnent failry heavy on the line with 6lb and a 0.13 hook length to a drennan 16 super specalisit eyed hook due to the weed, It was now 09:30.
First chuck with double red on the hook I had a decent perch about 12oz, nothing else happended for about a hour when I had a few more in quick succession followed by a few eels, always a risk on the Kenn.
I thought I was getting a few liners but it was hard to tell due to the wind. I put on two half of worm tipped with a caster, tip went striaght around and stayed there, on picking up the rod the heavy thuds and tip action told me it was a bream, it fought well and came easy enough through the weed, a nice fish of around 4lb. Out with the same hook bait and I bumped another on the strike (too eager prob). More perch followed but I didn't care, I was getting bites and fish and I was not on a Commercial. A cast slightly downstream of where I had been fishing produced another good bream and slightly bigger then it went quiet for a while before the perch came back, no roach at all which was strange as the colour was just right for them. About 3 o'clock the tip just moved ever so slightly and I struck before letting the bite develop as it looked like an eel bite I had put on a 3' hooklength as well, this was no eel and was not wanting to come in, it gave my new rod a thorough work out. When I got it in the net it was almost bent double, a big old boy of at least 6lb plus.
It was now just after 3 p.m so decided to call it a day, I needed to get home to do a few jobs. In total I had 3 bream, 12 perch and 4 eels for around 15lb, very pleased with that. Pic of my bream below.


There is a Club Match on the Kenn next week but I cannot attend due to family visiting us. I dobubt if many plan to attend but perhaps any Clevedon Club memebers reading the last few reports may give it a go. It is fishing better than last year.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog Ivan, I prefer the river to commercials but there just aren't the matches run on the Avon it until winter leagues really. It's a lovely feeling catching wild fish, can't beat it. Well done today!

    ReplyDelete